Hello from Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Missouri

Hello! I have posted a couple of threads in the limbo, newly diagnosed, and medications (Avonex) threads and thought it was time to make a proper introduction. My name is Elizabeth. I am married to a very wonderful husband and we have one baby. Our little guy is six months old and the cutest person on earth (it's possible I'm partial). We have 5 dogs, which is both crazy and wonderful. Before we had our baby we spent our time doing animal rescue, so each of our fur babies has some sort of crazy back story. I love the outdoors (just not during summer) and reading. I am a registered nurse working part time in an ICU and in graduate school to become an acute care nurse practitioner.

Two years ago I had my first symptom which I have now learned is called Lhermitte's sign. I was seeing a neurologist at the time for migraines and told her about what happened. I was also experiencing a lot of fatigue so she ordered an MRI. The MRI was abnormal and she decided to monitor the situation. Well things got better and I figured it was just a weird occurrence and things were fine. About 9 months letter I had another bout of symptoms. This time both of my arms were weak and tingling and the Lhermitte's was in full force. I called my neurologist and she ordered another MRI. Still abnormal with some new spots, but the spots were small and we continued to monitor.

During this time my husband and I got pregnant and made a move to be closer to our families. Everything seemed fine and I hadn't been worrying about the earlier symptoms or MRIs. Then I got out of the shower one day and had lost half of my vision in my right eye. I was pretty alarmed and went to the ER. They did an MRI and found more spots on my brain. At that time I was referred to a new neurologist. After a few months of monitoring and discovering a new spinal lesion I found myself newly diagnosed with MS.

This was pretty overwhelming and pretty shocking. I think I was in a little bit of denial. I have had a round of steroids and am on Avonex.

Because of the diagnosis we have decided to put off moving for a while and are staying close to family. My family has been very supportive and we are lucky we moved back when we did.

I have been having some trouble this summer with the heat making my symptoms act up, so I haven't got to spend much time outdoors. I'm looking forward to fall and cooler weather so we can start playing outside and showing our baby the joys of nature.

Hi Elizabeth

Welcome to MS World!

Congratulations on your baby boy, and the rescue of your 5 fur baby dogs!

Good luck with graduate school.

Looking forward to much cooler (and less humid) weather also. It's amazing how much better I can function, and hopefully you will too.

Wishing you the best!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello thestraltrainer and welcome to MSW.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,
        Welcome!
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
        X