Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice and expert help needed

Hello All,

I was recently prescribed forearm crutches. They allow me to walk better than I have in years. It is a blessing and a curse until I learn my new normal, again. Having assistance walking is wonderful, but how can I adapt my current situation to minimize the impact of having my hands occupied? I can hardly accomplish some tasks for myself, let alone someone else. Pushing a stroller, carrying things (groceries, etc.), even going out to eat, is a challenge. Any advice or info on adaptations is invaluable.

Thanks,

MrFloyd

Hi MrFloyd,I can't help personally, but was thinking that maybe you could consult with an occupational therapist? They may be able to suggest some adaptive products and techniques. I hope someone comes along that may have some suggestions.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I went from a cane to forearm crutches a few years back. It's definately a challenge.

I was going thru PT / OT at the time and they "trained" me how to use, including how to:
      - coordinate walking stride
      - get up if I had fallen
      - manage the crutches when doing simple tasks (my balance was pretty good at the time)
      and other everyday tasks.

After that it was practice. I usually had my spouse with me to assist so that eliminated a lot of the burden.

Best wishes to you as you learn to manage this.

Comment

Working...
      X