Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

optic neuritis, but no supporting lesions

Hi Group

I have had odd vision (can't quite describe it as blurry, or dim, or bright, but just... different from my other eye) in my right eye since Wednesday, accompanied by face pain on that side of my face. Also additional fatigue.

This is the first scary bout of symptoms I've had since my DX 6 years ago. So, I went in for a MRI this morning and... no lesions on the optic part of my brain.

Has this happened to you? When Optic Neuritis comes for you, how long would you wait until getting steroid treatment (especially when it's "invisible" to the MRI).

Thanks for your guidance.

Jessica
    "Happiness is a decision"- Michael J. Fox

Hi Jessica,I am not too terribly sure I am understanding, I'm sorry! Optic neuritis is caused by inflammation of the optic nerve, which is part of the central nervous system. This was also the symptom I had at onset - the ophthalmologist could actually see it by simply looking at the back of my eye (did you see an ophthalmologist?)... but I would think this would also show up in an MRI? I cannot really confirm that, as my optic neuritis had cleared up by the time I had an MRI.When I had it, I think it lasted around a month... I think if I'd had the chance sooner, I would have had the steroid treatment.Anyhow, I would suggest maybe seeing an ophthalmologist.Hope you feel better soon,Lauren
    "Don't lose hope - when the sun goes down, the stars come out". - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by jmerced View Post
      Hi Group

I have had odd vision (can't quite describe it as blurry, or dim, or bright, but just... different from my other eye) in my right eye since Wednesday, accompanied by face pain on that side of my face. Also additional fatigue.

This is the first scary bout of symptoms I've had since my DX 6 years ago. So, I went in for a MRI this morning and... no lesions on the optic part of my brain.

Has this happened to you? When Optic Neuritis comes for you, how long would you wait until getting steroid treatment (especially when it's "invisible" to the MRI).

Thanks for your guidance.

Jessica
      Hi Jessica. I'm no expert on MS, but I have been diagnosed with MS since 2012. I clicked on your message, because I am going through a similar situation right now.

I had what was described as a "mild" (HA!) case of ON in December of 2012. (I had already met the criteria for being diagnosed with MS at this time. ) I say "mild" because my opthomologist never saw any issues with my optic nerve and no issues on an MRI. The only reason why I got the treatment (IV steroids for 3 days) and the subsequent ON diagnosis was because the pain was unbearable. It started out as a subtle pinch when I moved my eye, to five days later feeling like someone lobbed an ice pick into my head. I had visual disturbances too, but nothing compared to the pain.

The funny this is now my opthomoligist can see the permanent damage on my optic nerve and I have to remind him that I had "a touch of ON". Lol

So about two and a half weeks ago, the same eye (left) started acting up. I agree that the visual disturbance is hard to describe, but it's kind of like looking through mildly frosted or beveled glass. About a week ago I had a regularly scheduled appointment with my opthomologist (I have a "mole" in my eye that they ultrasound every 6 months) so I told him about my vision issues. He dilated my eye(s) and said he didn't see any issues with my optic nerve, other than the old damage. He thinks I just need new glasses. I don't agree, but whatever.

Up until Saturday , I didn't have any pain so I decided not to make an issue about it (I didn't even call my neurologist), but for the last couple of days I haven't been able to kick the pain in my eye-it's like a mild headache behind my eye but it's not related to movement like before.

I'm going to give it a couple of more days to see what happens. The vision disturbance is annoying, but that will stick around for months treatment or not. The steroid treatment is pretty intense and I feel like a sumo wrestler when it's done. But, I'm just not my best self when in that much pain, so I'm willing to go through the "bloat" if I have to.

But to summarize, yes, I have had a case of ON without any immediate "proof". The pain and visual issues do get better treated or not in time, but the treatment, I believe, helps the pain right away. So if you are in unbearable pain, consider asking the Dr to treat you as if you had ON anyway. You might actually have it and they just can't see it.

Comment

dark vision

I have periods of time in clusters, it will happen three or four times a week for about a month or two then stop, where in one eye the room goes dark it's like the lights are out, I can see some but shadows mostly only in one eye and it only lasts like 3-5 minutes then resolves. I asked my Ophthalmologist and he said it isn't optic neuritis but is spasms of the optic nerve most likely from my ms. Interestingly enough I did have one MRI that showed a light spot on my optic nerve indicating a possibly old lesion.

Comment

Legally blind

I've had ON, mild and severe, more times than I can count. In both eyes. My optic nerve looks fine. My Neuro believes the damage is deep in the brain and not picked up by the MRI.

I am now legally blind, can't drive, read with magnifiers, life is seen through a fog.

I wish I could be more encouraging.....

Peace,
          Anna

Comment

Working...
          X