Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky Request-To Tell your Employer or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Request-To Tell your Employer or Not?

I noticed there is a lawyer on here who may have some expertise or advice on this as well as others on here who have dealt with this.

I am newly diagnosed with MS and I know at the end of the year my employer will see a ton of money spent on my health care through insurance. Questions may be asked. While they will not know exactly for what, my question is do I tell them or not?

For now, my answer is no...it's none of their business and I work at a satellite office with no other employees where my employer does not know the amount of time spent in doctor's offices or all of the symptoms I am having. I did tell my boss at one time that I was having numbness and possibly sciatica and that I would be taking some time to see doctors; mainly for a heads-up in case he tried to reach me and I was unavailable.

So what advice do you recommend and how did you handle it? My symptoms have been relatively mild except for numbness....but I have had ome lack of focus issues which cause me to spend 2-3x as much time checking my work as normal. Still awaiting first treatment....hopefully that alleviates some of this soon.

TIA

I did not tell my employer or co-workers about my MS until it was unavoidable. My symptoms were spasticity and leg weakness, which I passed off as nerve damage. Monthly Tysabri infusions were appointments for shots for the nerve damage.

When I started having to use a scooter, it was obvious more was going on. And a new employee announced to everyone that I looked like I had MS.

If your company should not have access to your insurance claim information. I say 'should' because I know that my company's HR department seemed to know when we had someone with big claims. And one of them liked to gossip.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
      If your company should not have access to your insurance claim information. I say 'should' because I know that my company's HR department seemed to know when we had someone with big claims. And one of them liked to gossip.
      Thanks!

I feel much the same way but I do not know all of the legal ramifications about how to potentially protect my employable with this company should it come down to that. An HR person will know about the medical claims and the costs as the rates and contract are negotiated annually, later this year and I imagine a few of us are going to jack up those rates-mostly me. They 'shouldn't' have any idea what it's for or what prescriptions I will have. If they do, I would imagine I would have a claim against the insurance company for violating HIPAA should this be talked about behind the scenes as I am relatively early into the progression and show no outward signs at the moment.

As far as infusions, I can work things out where no one would be the wiser if I stepped out for half of a day....lucky for me.

Comment

People may have different reasons for telling. But I think the general guidance is not to disclose until you need an accommodation. Even then, you don't have to disclose MS, just your doctor needs to document that physically, you need an accommodation.

Since you feel your employer may know you are the cause of higher medical bills and possible premium increase, I guess it is a small company? I worked for a large company, so harder to detect. There was one HR rep who was responsible for medical review and short term disability as they were self insured. Legally, he could not disclose, but I always wondered.

I waited to disclose until I needed intermittent FMLA for monthly infusions and a work from home day each week, with flexible schedule. I also didn't have to disclose to my boss, but to HR. I chose to disclose to my boss though, as well as my department to avoid the pettiness and perception of preferential treatment.

The other reason to disclose is if performance becomes an issue and an accommodation could help. Under the ADA, you still have to be able to perform your job. You just don't want to wait too long if you notice your job performance is becoming an issue. Be as proactive as you can. I finally went on LTD and SSDI when even with accommodations, my performance was declining.

Lots of luck.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Since you feel your employer may know you are the cause of higher medical bills and possible premium increase, I guess it is a small company?I waited to disclose until I needed intermittent FMLA for monthly infusions and a work from home day each week, with flexible schedule. I also didn't have to disclose to my boss, but to HR. I chose to disclose to my boss though, as well as my department to avoid the pettiness and perception of preferential treatment.The other reason to disclose is if performance becomes an issue and an accommodation could help. Under the ADA, you still have to be able to perform your job. You just don't want to wait too long if you notice your job performance is becoming an issue. Be as proactive as you can. I finally went on LTD and SSDI when even with accommodations, my performance was declining.Lots of luck.
          Relatively small but there are some others with health issues this year. Mine is very likely to raise eyebrows since I'm otherwise very healthy. Wonder if the insurance company can even disclose to my company who is causing the higher premiums?At this point, my symptoms are mild enough that no accomodation is necessary though I have some focus issues at times which could impede me in the fitire if they get worse.Thank you for the info on AFA snd FMLA.

Comment

I work in a very small company, 2 partner owners and 16 employees. As my dad is the senior of the partners, he obviously knew about my diagnosis as soon as I did. I've been open about it with the rest of the people there too. Mostly to avoid even more pettiness if I need time off for appointments or need accommodations in the future. I already deal with pettiness being the owner's daughter, just from 1 person, but she can be HORRIBLE about it.
            My health insurance is through my husband's employer, so nobody needs to worry about costs.
            So far, everyone has been supportive of what I need (which is really only time off for appointments).
            "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
            Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

I work for large facilities so probably a bit easier to fly under the radar and avoid the rumor mill.

I have always disclosed during my pre-employment physicals, after receiving an offer in writing, at the jobs where I would be getting health benefits as they will figure it out and I'd suspect lying on those forms would be cause for termination. I have never disclosed to my immediate supervisors or departments and as far as I can tell this information has not gotten out which I appreciate.

I have no plans to disclose to HR or my department unless or until I need accommodations and actually at that time might just retire. I'm early 50s and have been saving for that day since I was diagnosed.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Right now my situation is unique. Won't have to worry about rumors or ppl seeing visible signs. Most all of the work I do is via phone and email and I am the only one at my location.Really am not planning to retire but I love what I do and as long as I am not making drastic mistakes all will be fine.I'm most curious about the legal aspects, not so much the social interaction ones.

Comment

Working...
                X