X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Acts of Kindness - Member Topic of the Month for July, 2017

Your Member Topic for July is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!
    Thanks to all who participated in June's Member Topic of the Month!

For the month of July, your topic will be about an act of kindness you've received that has helped you during your journey with MS. Anything from helping us out of a MS predicament, to simply holding open a door are more meaningful to those of us with MS than others could possibly know.

Please join us in this important conversation on how an act of kindness has helped you. Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more of your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...TH-suggestions!
    Last edited by Kimba22; 07-01-2017, 03:20 PM.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
    For the month of July, your topic will be about an act of kindness you've received that has helped you during your journey with MS. Anything from helping us out of a MS predicament, to simply holding open a door are more meaningful to those of us with MS than others could possibly know.
    A complete list of the acts of kindness and helpfulness shown to me during this MS journey would be too long for this post! So I will share just a few of the most unforgettable and meaningful.

*Early on in this MS journey, while still working, coworkers (anonymously) would clean the snow and ice off of my car before I would clock out. That was a very big help to me!

*While still walking with a cane, I fell on the sidewalk after leaving the hair salon. Would you believe that every hair stylist in the place showed concern and came out to help me get up and make sure I was ok? They were so very kind and I was so very thankful.

*While grocery shopping, I got the sudden urging from my bladder to get to the bathroom. I had left my cane in the car, and couldn't go in with the shopping cart. Anxiety set in quickly! I saw a lady who was doing the pricing of products nearby, and asked if she would help me walk into the bathroom. She stayed with me and helped me back to the cart when I was finished. What a super kind person she was!

*Late after work, on a cold winter's night, I fell on the concrete steps going into my apartment. I couldn't reach my phone and was panicked laying there in the cold. Thankfully a young man three apartment buildings away saw me and came to my rescue. He helped me into my apartment and onto the chair. He was so very helpful!

*My older sister "surprises" me with delicious homemade soups/meals (regularly). I could never prepare and cook such delicious food myself!

*My younger sister helps me with my shower, does grocery shopping, floors, and other chores that I can no longer manage. I wouldn't be able to maintain living alone without her assistance.

I have been most fortunate and grateful to be the recipient of an almost endless catalog of kind and helpful words and deeds from others while on this MS journey.

They help to remove some of the sting and to smooth some of the rough edges of living with MS.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I love to give rak

I certainly appreciate the people who are there for me... coworkers stop and help plant, weed, or provide company... church members who just stop and help me do whatever....

What I really love is when I can provide the random act of kindness to others. This makes me feel great, and is a reflection on the people helping me... PLUS it helps me focus on people with problems and gets my eye and heart off from focusing on my issues. These damn issues are not going to go away. These issues are only going to escalate. So I enjoy not keeping my eyes on me, but on others who cannot see the world happening around them.

The other day I bought a Walmart gift card for a woman whose husband was hitting her, and she left... with NOTHING but her kids... I sure hope I can always be the "giver" AND I hope this is helping me be a person who can receive with grace and appreciation... that part is HARD.

It is MUCH EASIER to give.

karen
      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Random act(S) of kindness

OK, for me a singular "act" doesn't exactly describe how lucky I am . . .

I was diagnosed with MS in 1993, a few weeks after returning from my honeymoon, and my wife's never-ending assistance has been mind-boggling. She even help pass that attitude of tolerance on to our son, who was born 5 years later -- and 6 months before I became a disabled stay-at-home dad.

I can't imagine ANYTHING better for a disabled guy than a fabulous partner coupled with with a fabulous kid.

-- Andrew Michaelson

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
        Your Member Topic for July is here!
        You made suggestions and we listened!
        Thanks to all who participated in June's Member Topic of the Month!

Please join us in this important conversation on how an act of kindness has helped you. Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more of your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! You can add more suggestions here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...TH-suggestions!

Comment

I've had several acts of kindness. My husband is #1 when it comes to showing me kindness, he helps me in everyway he can. I 've had tons of people open the door for me even when I'm with my husband and just recently I was waiting for the Dr. to call me in and my husband had to go out and make a phone call. When the nurse called my name I stood up and a man from across the room came up to me and extended his arm and helped me walk in. How wonderful is that.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

my co-workers set aside the parking spot next to the door (not marked handicap) and got a sign designating it was my spot! This was long before I was really wobbly. They make sure the snow is shovelled so I can get into the building safely. It made me cry when they surprised me!
            Brenda
            Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
            X