Any experience with Xanaflex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with Xanaflex?

Doc prescribed Zanaflex for spasticity, but after reading the side effects, I am not sure it is worth it. My biggest concern is muscle weakness. I have enough problems with my legs, I don't need any more!Any one have experience with Zanaflex and are willing to share?Thanks
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
    Doc prescribed Zanaflex for spasticity, but after reading the side effects, I am not sure it is worth it. My biggest concern is muscle weakness. I have enough problems with my legs, I don't need any more!Any one have experience with Zanaflex and are willing to share?Thanks
    Hi Echo

I took Zanaflex several years ago. I stopped because it made me feel lethargic at that time.

I have been thinking about revisiting a spasticity med lately, but my main issue is that my muscles vascillate between spasticity and weakness throughout the day.

If the muscles were predominantly spastic, I would be more inclined to take something. But with alternating weakness present, I am concerned too.

I actually feel stronger in the legs with some spasticity present, as when getting up from a sitting position. On the other hand, when I have the weakness present, it is difficult to even stand up.

Such is the conundrum of MS weakness and spasticity!

If you do try it, let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I tried taking 2mg. Zanaflex about 10 years ago. I found it to be an effective sleeping pill.
      I could not tell you whether it made my muscle weakness worse or my spasticity better because I literally slept through its 4 hours of effect.

I tried taking it at bedtime since I had a lot of stiffness and spasticity related muscle pain at night. I got a few hours of good sleep but it seemed to have a rebound effect as it wore off. I'd wake up at 4:00 am, just absolutely wide awake, no dozing back off.

I eventually opted for the baclofen pump at a low dose.

Comment

Zanaflex

I take 8 mg of Zanaflex three times per day. Initially, it had a bit of a sedating effect compounded by the fact I take it with 30 mg of baclofen and some Valium.

The sedative qualities I adjusted to within a couple days and it profoundly helped my spasticity initially. Now, I'm looking into a baclofen pump as an option because oral meds don't cut it, but to your original question- yes, it helped a lot and it did not make me personally feel weaker, though everyone is different.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll let you if I decide to use it and how it goes.
          Echo
          DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Hmm... Zanaflex

Originally posted by Echo2099 View Post
            Knocked me on my can!!! Legs were like rubber.. Could hardly walk

Comment

Working...
            X