Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprapubic catheter.

Hello

I have not been to this site in a very long time. I had a colostomy six years ago as a result of chronic constipation, due to MS. Tomorrow I go in for a suprapubic catheter as a result of neurogenic bladder. I am female and wondering if I can expect to have leakage from my urethra?

Thanks s bunch.

Hi bosoxer,

As long as nothing is preventing the flow of urine to the collection bag, I have no problem. But, that's not to say it doesn't happen. But it's from my position (like laying down too long wearing the leg bag), the opening to the leg bag somehow gets scrunched together, the suprapubic catheter itself has somehow gotten crimped, or tubing to large overnight bag isn't positioned correctly (allowing urine to flow freely downward).

Blockages can also occur inside the suprapubic catheter if any stones (however small) collect there, so be sure to drink plenty of water.

I'd read experiences that scared me, and so put it off as long as possible, but would've made my life a lot easier had I gotten one sooner. It's not perfect, but for me glad I finally did it. Best of luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

This information is very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
      Hi bosoxer,As long as nothing is preventing the flow of urine to the collection bag, I have no problem. But, that's not to say it doesn't happen. But it's from my position (like laying down too long wearing the leg bag), the opening to the leg bag somehow gets scrunched together, the suprapubic catheter itself has somehow gotten crimped, or tubing to large overnight bag isn't positioned correctly (allowing urine to flow freely downward). Blockages can also occur inside the suprapubic catheter if any stones (however small) collect there, so be sure to drink plenty of water. I'd read experiences that scared me, and so put it off as long as possible, but would've made my life a lot easier had I gotten one sooner. It's not perfect, but for me glad I finally did it. Best of luck!

Comment

Suprapubic cath

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
        Hi bosoxer,

As long as nothing is preventing the flow of urine to the collection bag, I have no problem. But, that's not to say it doesn't happen. But it's from my position (like laying down too long wearing the leg bag), the opening to the leg bag somehow gets scrunched together, the suprapubic catheter itself has somehow gotten crimped, or tubing to large overnight bag isn't positioned correctly (allowing urine to flow freely downward).

Blockages can also occur inside the suprapubic catheter if any stones (however small) collect there, so be sure to drink plenty of water.

I'd read experiences that scared me, and so put it off as long as possible, but would've made my life a lot easier had I gotten one sooner. It's not perfect, but for me glad I finally did it. Best of luck!
        Kimba22, what type of suprapubic catheter do you have? Is it the same balloon type as a fully? I had the surgery done a month ago and they put in a pigtail and it is the worst thing in the world! Thank goodness I get to have it changed out to the balloon next week I never even knew that kind exist it! It never showed up when I did all my research!

Comment

Working...
        X