Homeless With MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeless With MS

Hi, my name is Scotty. I received my diagnosis in 2012 but have been living with MS for probably 15 years. I found the forum through a Google search. Since just before Mother's Day I've been homeless.

I'm fortunate enough to still have my phone for now and figured it would at least help to have someone to talk to. I've done a lot of things to help myself deal with MS, including getting my college degree at 47. I was even named Outstanding Sophomore for my class. If you Google "Scotty Rushing Florida Tech" you'll see the documentaries that were made about me.

I've started the disability process, something I probably resisted for too long. Too much pride, I guess. Not here to seek anything other than your kind conversation and positive thoughts. Maybe something I share sometime will help someone else.

Originally posted by ScottyRush View Post
    Hi, my name is Scotty. I received my diagnosis in 2012 but have been living with MS for probably 15 years. I found the forum through a Google search. Since just before Mother's Day I've been homeless.

I'm fortunate enough to still have my phone for now and figured it would at least help to have someone to talk to. I've done a lot of things to help myself deal with MS, including getting my college degree at 47. I was even named Outstanding Sophomore for my class. If you Google "Scotty Rushing Florida Tech" you'll see the documentaries that were made about me.

I've started the disability process, something I probably resisted for too long. Too much pride, I guess. Not here to seek anything other than your kind conversation and positive thoughts. Maybe something I share sometime will help someone else.
    Hi Scotty

Welcome!

Hope you find some support and helpful insights here at MS World!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Well Scotty you have new friends now. So sorry you are homeless. Do you have ANY personal support?
      Peace to all,
      LM
      RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Re: Support

Originally posted by Fishytrout View Post
        Well Scotty you have new friends now. So sorry you are homeless. Do you have ANY personal support?
        Unfortunately no. I am an only child, parents long gone. Just me. I think it can be hard for people to grasp that lack of resources or support sometimes.

Comment

Hi Scotty and welcome! My heart just broke hearing you are homeless and living with MS. You've come to the right place for some of the support you need. Have you tried applying through any of Florida's agencies for financial help regarding your situation?

Florida Housing's Special Needs Website says "Special needs households include persons that are elderly, physically disabled, at risk of being or are homeless, and/or have extremely low incomes. These special needs populations may include more specifically defined subgroups such as youth aging out of foster care, survivors of domestic violence, persons with severe and persistent mental illness, or persons with developmental disabilities." http://apps.floridahousing.org/StandAlone/SpecialNeeds/

Disability Rights: Florida says: " The cost of maintaining adequate housing is a worry for many Floridians, especially for Floridians who have disabilities. These housing programs may be available to help pay for or subsidize your housing costs. See also our Section 504 tab under Other Legal Protections to learn about how the law prohibits discrimination based solely on disability in Public Housing and Choice Voucher programs." http://www.disabilityrightsflorida.o...tance_vouchers

You might want to get in touch with your local chapter of the National MS Society to see if they can be of some help directing you to proper agencies. To find your local chapter visit - http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Chapters

Please take care and keep in touch!
          I don't know what you've researched yet, but surely there must be help somewhere in Florida for you!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
            Hi Scotty and welcome! My heart just broke hearing you are homeless and living with MS. You've come to the right place for some of the support you need. Have you tried applying through any of Florida's agencies for financial help regarding your situation?Florida Housing's Special Needs Website says "Special needs households include persons that are elderly, physically disabled, at risk of being or are homeless, and/or have extremely low incomes. These special needs populations may include more specifically defined subgroups such as youth aging out of foster care, survivors of domestic violence, persons with severe and persistent mental illness, or persons with developmental disabilities." http://apps.floridahousing.org/StandAlone/SpecialNeeds/Disability Rights: Florida says: " The cost of maintaining adequate housing is a worry for many Floridians, especially for Floridians who have disabilities. These housing programs may be available to help pay for or subsidize your housing costs. See also our Section 504 tab under Other Legal Protections to learn about how the law prohibits discrimination based solely on disability in Public Housing and Choice Voucher programs." http://www.disabilityrightsflorida.o...tance_vouchersYou might want to get in touch with your local chapter of the National MS Society to see if they can be of some help directing you to proper agencies. To find your local chapter visit - http://www.nationalmssociety.org/ChaptersPlease take care and keep in touch!I don't know what you've researched yet, but surely there must be help somewhere in Florida for you!
            Thank you for the resources. I'm actually in Louisiana. I earned my degree online. I am currently pursuing the avenues open to me. The hurdle is that my disability claim has only recently been filed. Once it is approved there will be many resources for me. I wish it were as easy as walking in and saying I'm disabled. But, I'm working the avenues.

Comment

Thank you for the resources. I'm actually in Louisiana. I earned my degree online. I am currently pursuing the avenues open to me. The hurdle is that my disability claim has only recently been filed. Once it is approved there will be many resources for me. I wish it were as easy as walking in and saying I'm disabled. But, I'm working the avenues.
              Sorry about that - you location says Florida, so I just assumed. And what you say here makes perfect sense. Guess I didn't read your post the whole way through about filing for disability.

Hope it goes through without a hitch! In the meantime, take care of yourself and keep us posted.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Welcome Scotty. I am really sorry to hear of the situation you are in. I hope your disability filing goes well and you can catch a break.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Welcome Scotty!

I hear you loud and clear about support systems. Some of are alone and just do not have them. There is something to be said if the huge families if yesteryear but the Earth can only handle so many people. Smaller families are more common and there are many more stories like yours I'm sure. I have just one kiddo, and definately no inheritence or trustfund for her!

I have no doubt you will get your SSDI soon, but in the meantime, where are you living as you are typing to us? Are you safe? Do you have a roof over your head? Food? The system turns slowly, but it turns. I was declined the first time, and in total, it took me about two years to be accepted.

I was so afraid to get on SSDI because I have never heard of anyone getting off of it. It is just so...final. I do have a small home and this computer, so I am grateful for that.

This disease is a serious financial bummer along with everything else. Good luck🌹. You are in my prayers.
                  Tawanda

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                    Welcome Scotty!I hear you loud and clear about support systems. Some of are alone and just do not have them. There is something to be said if the huge families if yesteryear but the Earth can only handle so many people. Smaller families are more common and there are many more stories like yours I'm sure. I have just one kiddo, and definately no inheritence or trustfund for her! I have no doubt you will get your SSDI soon, but in the meantime, where are you living as you are typing to us? Are you safe? Do you have a roof over your head? Food? The system turns slowly, but it turns. I was declined the first time, and in total, it took me about two years to be accepted. I was so afraid to get on SSDI because I have never heard of anyone getting off of it. It is just so...final. I do have a small home and this computer, so I am grateful for that.This disease is a serious financial bummer along with everything else. Good luck🌹. You are in my prayers.
                    Thanks for responding. I typically post from wherever I can find a WiFi hotspot since I still technically have a phone. For the past three nights I have been fortunate enough to be in a hotel room thanks to a kind stranger. I'm grateful. The WiFi connection has allowed me to work some and I will have some earnings this week. Food is a different matter. But, I drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Thanks so much for your kindness and concern.

Comment

Thanks for responding. I typically post from wherever I can find a WiFi hotspot since I still technically have a phone. For the past three nights I have been fortunate enough to be in a hotel room thanks to a kind stranger. I'm grateful. The WiFi connection has allowed me to work some and I will have some earnings this week. Food is a different matter. But, I drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Thanks so much for your kindness and concern.
                      I don't know if it is just the area I live in, but there are so many food resources. Many churches around here that have lines of people who come for free groceries one day a week. We also have a well-stocked city food bank. I would not be too proud to go there if my stomach was rumbling, but I am mobile and could find a way to get there. I do not know your physical capabilities. I see "Meals on Wheels" trucks around here every morning.

Besides food and shelter, the next item of concern: What about your MS meds? How are you getting them?

Sounds like you could use a social worker to help you tap into some of this stuff, but around here, they are really thinly spread, and sadly, childless adults are probably the last people they get to. You have a phone still. Make some calls. Be persistent.
                      Tawanda

Comment

Hi ScottyRush and welcome. Congratulations on your college degree but I am sorry about your dx of ms and being homeless. I can only imagine what you are going thru.

I hope you follow some of the good advice and find help soon.

Here you are not alone and you will be in my prayers.
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

Unfortunately no. I am an only child, parents long gone. Just me. I think it can be hard for people to grasp that lack of resources or support sometimes.
                          Scotty, I am an only child too so I "GET IT". Please know you are now in my prayers. HUGS
                          Peace to all,
                          LM
                          RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

Hi Scotty,
                            I am sorry for your situation !
                            Have you contacted the MSSociety in LA. I would bet they can give you immediate help..I hope so.
                            I hope you find the help you need now!
                            Best wishes,
                            Linda
                            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Fishytrout View Post
                              Scotty, I am an only child too so I "GET IT". Please know you are now in my prayers. HUGS
                              My father was an "Only" and retaliated by having 7 kids of his own (last two were half-sibs who need not worry about inheriting my mother's MS genes). I have an only child myself; my MS diagnosis put the Kibosh on any thoughts of a sibling for her. I knew that was the right choice me and for our family.

I guess the upside is DD won't have to split whatever is left to her...if our final medical expenses don't eat it up first! She would have our little house (it's not much, but my only-child Dad got his parents' little house that was used as a much needed down-payment on a house sizeable enough for his expanding brood).

When I was young I never worried about money, illness or homelessness. Ignorance was bliss indeed!
                              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                              X