Prior JCV+ Tysabri Patient Contracts PML After Switching to Ocervus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior JCV+ Tysabri Patient Contracts PML After Switching to Ocervus

The patient had been on Tysabri for 3+ years with the final infusion occurring in February.
    In April, the patient was infused with Ocrevus.
    The reporting physician believed Tysabri, not Ocrevus, was the culprit.

Let's hope that the culprit was Tysabri and not Ocrevus.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/f...eally-to-blame

This is depressing since I'm jcv+ and was on tysabri for 6+yrs.

I pray the pml patient
    Will not get too bad and will be ok.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

OMG! I hope this doesn't become a pattern. We have all had such high hopes that Ocrevus would be a refuge for those on Tysabri.

We will just have to wait and see...

Comment

Neuro wants to be cautios

I was at the neuro yesterday and asked about Ocervus. Doc said a patient died from PML after stopping Tysabri and then starting Ocervus. He said it may be related to the Tysabri, but right now the connection is unknown.He said that if you get PML while on Tysabri, your blood and be filtered and the Tysabri removed and thereby lessening the effects of PML. However, with Ocervus filtering will not remove the drug, so no way to treat PML. His point for telling me this is, he wants to wait 6 months or so to see how this all shakes out. Especially since I am JVC positve. He also said he has not heard of Ocervus in and of it's self causing PML, but he would still like me to wait before starting. Disappointed but I agreed, and will keep looking for more info.
        Echo
        DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

My neurologist always recommended caution when a new drug is approved. She said give it a year to see what happens since you never really know what will happen (see that new wonder drug Tecfidera from several years ago).

Comment

According to what my doctor said, both Ty and Ocrevus suppress the immune system. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if PML cases started showing up with Ocrevus.

So I don’t see one or the other as the culprit. Maybe just bad timing. It sure doesn’t bode well for those of us on Tysabri looking to switch to Ocrevus from a high

Comment

Tysabri seems to be the guilty one for this case,,,but have there been other cases of pml?

Comment

Working...
              X