Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

notice of FMLA/STD TO boss/manager

Hi
    can someone post a template for notifying boss/manager at leaving on STD/FMLA ?
    I want to make sure is not considered resignation

thanks in advance

Originally posted by brave View Post
    Hi

thanks in advance
    I didn't have to notify this way. I was out sick and after 5 days, I notified boss I couldn't return at that time and would need to invoke STD. Then HR notified STD administrator to call me and by HR policy, FMLA invoked. Once STD called, they sent medical form that neurologist had to fill out.

If you need to, I would keep it simple and advise them that for medical reasons and under doctor's advice, you will need to use your benefits for STD and FMLA leave. I would also ask if any forms need to be filled out for either STD or FMLA, that they are provided to you so you can comply with company policy.

If your boss or anyone pushes you to know if you are coming back to work, I would again keep it simple, that it is your goal, but will be dependent on your health and your doctor's input.

You may want to check the NMSS site to see if they have any information on invoking leave.

Maybe someone will be along with more advice. I do hope you have copies of your company's policies for FMLA, STD, LTD. Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      I didn't have to notify this way. I was out sick and after 5 days, I notified boss I couldn't return at that time and would need to invoke STD. Then HR notified STD administrator to call me and by HR policy, FMLA invoked. Once STD called, they sent medical form that neurologist had to fill out.

If you need to, I would keep it simple and advise them that for medical reasons and under doctor's advice, you will need to use your benefits for STD and FMLA leave. I would also ask if any forms need to be filled out for either STD or FMLA, that they are provided to you so you can comply with company policy.

If your boss or anyone pushes you to know if you are coming back to work, I would again keep it simple, that it is your goal, but will be dependent on your health and your doctor's input.

You may want to check the NMSS site to see if they have any information on invoking leave.

Maybe someone will be along with more advice. I do hope you have copies of your company's policies for FMLA, STD, LTD. Good luck.
      Thank you very much pennstater
      You save lives with prompt responses

God bless

Comment

Hi

thanks in advance
        Hi brave

All I can remember is asking my supervisor for FMLA papers, taking them to my doctor to be filled out, and then turning them back in to the supervisor.

Wishing you the best.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi brave:

Wow, it sounds like conditions at work have deteriorated pretty badly if you're concerned that a request for FMLA/STD leave might be mistaken for a resignation.

You don't have to ask around or just guess what to do about medical leave. First, your employee handbook and HR department can tell you what your benefits are at your company and what your responsibilities are in requesting and using them.

Next, National FMLA leave is overseen by the US Department of Labor (DOL). From their website, you can download an FMLA Employee Guide that explains your rights and responsibilities under FMLA and how to apply for it: https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/employeeguide.htm.

In California, you may also be eligible for leave under the California Family Rights Act (CFRA). In addition to or instead of a short-term disability program run by your employer, California runs a state disability insurance (SDI) program that will pay to replace part of lost income while you're out on leave. Its the SDI that's deducted from your paycheck, so you know you're covered. You can get California information at http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/.

If you want to go out on medical leave, you need to speak up and apply for it. If you're still worried about being fired, there's a chance that your employer might still make the first move and fire you before you have a chance to ask for leave. So be careful that you don't use up all your time trying to figure out what to do.

Comment

I just can't emphasize enough to make sure you know your company's policies. Ours were posted on the company's intranet (internal company website). If you don't have a handbook or website, request the policies from your boss and HR.

I have heard horror stories of people getting caught in process related denials. Pay close attention to any time frames and due dates. Even if someone verbally gives an extension or different information, get it in writing. My LTD carrier tried to play a few games, telling me verbally it was ok that I didn't have a follow-up appointment until after a review date. They then denied it based on "not providing requested information by required date". Won on appeal, but just want you to be aware of the tricks and make sure you comply with all requirements.

Hope you feel better.
            Kathy

Comment

Thank you all for your support
              I work for big company , policies are published on internal site
              I try my best to follow

I saw my neurologist 3 days ago and he gave me a note to go on leave for 3 months

I sent notice to my manager and filed claim with administrator

FMLA requires 30 days advance notice with some exception

Neuro wanted me to let him know if any issue with advance notice

I have been under this neuro care for 18 yrs
              He has all records and history of my progress
              And extend of my disability

I was the one weekly dragged myself insisting to work ntil drained fully

My claim is in process

I keep u posted

Thanks again

Comment

Thank you all for your support
                I work for big company , policies are published on internal site
                I try my best to follow

I saw my neurologist 3 days ago and he gave me a note to go on leave for 3 months

I sent notice to my manager and filed claim with administrator

FMLA requires 30 days advance notice with some exception

Neuro wanted me to let him know if any issue with advance notice

I have been under this neuro care for 18 yrs
                He has all records and history of my progress
                And extend of my disability

I was the one weekly dragged myself insisting to work ntil drained fully

My claim is in process

I keep u posted

Thanks again
                Hi brave

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that things are starting to move along now.

I don't understand the 30 day notice for FMLA, though.

Stuff can happen fast, requiring a leave from work sooner than that!

Might depend on each place of employment's policies?

In any case, best of luck to you and yes, please keep us informed.

Take Care
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  I don't understand the 30 day notice for FMLA, though. ...
                  Not really.

What I said to the OP applies again here. You don't have to ask around or just guess about FMLA.

FMLA leave is overseen by the US Department of Labor (DOL). From their website, you can download an FMLA Employee Guide that explains employees' rights and responsibilities under FMLA and how to apply for it: https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/employeeguide.htm.

The 30 days advance notice is explained in the guide.

Comment

Hi brave:

I don't understand the 30 day notice for FMLA, though.

Stuff can happen fast, requiring a leave from work sooner than that!

In any case, best of luck to you and yes, please keep us informed.

Take Care
                    The 30 day notice is a guide. The FMLA process allows that there may be emergencies. But if you are going to have non-medical surgery, then the 30 day would be expected. Likewise, if taking time to care for someone else after surgery or while normal caregiver takes time off, the 30 days is requested. But in emergency, just have to notify ASAP.

If a company wants to wait 30 days to use FMLA time, it would just push that out further into the STD period. Assuming the STD protects your job for at least 30 days, would seem to benefit the employee. Rare these days.

Brave - glad things are moving. Hope all goes well. Keep us in the loop as your claim progresses. Hope you do start to feel better soon.
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
                      Not really.

What I said to the OP applies again here. You don't have to ask around or just guess about FMLA.

FMLA leave is overseen by the US Department of Labor (DOL). From their website, you can download an FMLA Employee Guide that explains employees' rights and responsibilities under FMLA and how to apply for it: https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/employeeguide.htm.

The 30 days advance notice is explained in the guide.
                      jreagan

Unless I'm not reading it right, you only have to give a 30 day notice for FMLA if you know in advance that you'll need it, such as scheduled surgery or pregnancy.

When I took FMLA for the first time and approved for my condition (no 30 day notice), I was covered for the time off needed immediately for my condition.

My paperwork was then filled out in such a way as to also cover any future recurring time off for my condition.

Forgot to add in my earlier posts that I used accrued paid sick leave and paid annual leave during my FMLA absences. I had not used any sick leave until MS came along, so I had a lot of unused time.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                        The 30 day notice is a guide. The FMLA process allows that there may be emergencies. But if you are going to have non-medical surgery, then the 30 day would be expected. Likewise, if taking time to care for someone else after surgery or while normal caregiver takes time off, the 30 days is requested. But in emergency, just have to notify ASAP.

If a company wants to wait 30 days to use FMLA time, it would just push that out further into the STD period. Assuming the STD protects your job for at least 30 days, would seem to benefit the employee. Rare these days.

Brave - glad things are moving. Hope all goes well. Keep us in the loop as your claim progresses. Hope you do start to feel better soon.
                        pennstater

We must have been typing response at same time!

Take Care

Comment

Not sure how FMLA works or when it's needed. I'm in CA and went immediately out on CA-STD with my doctor's note and stayed on it for 6 months straight with periodic doctor's updates of my continuing disability. I then went over to LTD.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
                            Not sure how FMLA works or when it's needed. I'm in CA and went immediately out on CA-STD with my doctor's note and stayed on it for 6 months straight with periodic doctor's updates of my continuing disability. I then went over to LTD.
                            I'm in CA too, let's hope my Path will be smooth as yours
                            Otherwise if any involvement from employer needed , it harms as bad as possible with tons of lawyers in hand.

Comment

Unless I'm not reading it right, you only have to give a 30 day notice for FMLA if you know in advance that you'll need it, such as scheduled surgery or pregnancy.
                              You are reading it right. And that's exactly my point.

I don't need it explained to me. I already knew that because I've read and understand the law and applicable DOL documentation.

My point is that everyone should read official documentation about a law or policy for themselves to find out what it actually says, and not speculate and start rumors about what they think something might mean based on something that someone else said, which might or might not even be correct.

Apparently, you even speculated about what I said, inferring something that I didn't even say or imply. I never said or implied that 30 days notice is required for FMLA leave, or that the OP's explanation was completely correct.

I said, "The 30 days advance notice is explained in the guide." And it is. And what the guide explains is when it does and doesn't apply, and that the OP's explanation was not entirely correct. And you found that out by reading it yourself after incorrectly speculating earlier. Which is, again, the point of my post.

So my caution to everyone is: Read important information yourself. Speculate -- and believe speculation -- at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X