• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afo

Any body have afo and if so how do u like

Originally posted by DebRA View Post
    Hi DebRA

I have had the traditional, heavy duty, hard plastic AFO for several years now for my right foot.

My leg and foot had to be measured, and a mold was made for this custom fitted AFO, which fits in my shoe (after the insole is removed). The brace comes up to just below my knee, with a Velcro strap.

It gives me maximum stability for walking, due to the weakened muscles that caused foot drop.

It makes taking steps less tiring by helping me to lift my foot easier.

The AFO has greatly helped over the years.

I have seen that many new styles have been designed for lighter support, but I need the heavy duty type.

Hope this helps!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello DebRA,

I mostly use the bioness 300 nerve stimulator and an afo called softfit that fits my normal size shoe but only lite weight shoes, I use this around the house and sometimes out ant about. My first afo was the hard plastic like KoKo talked about, which works very well and I liked it but I had to wear larger shoes.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi,Debra.

Similar to Koko, I have had a custom plastic AFO for a couple years now. Does the job for my moderate foot drop, but it is not my preferred device any longer.

Preference would be Bioness or WalkAid but far too expensive. My neuro recently mentioned another device called Ossur Foot Up Drop Foot Brace. After reading reviews, I purchased one through Jet.com for $37.00 total. You can purchase on other sites as well.

I have to say this is so much more comfortable and much less noticeable when out and about. Not to mention much more affordable. They have a version for laced shoes and one for non-laced shoes.

Hope this helps. Take care.
        PPMS; DX April 2011
        Copaxone 40 mg (April 2011 - May 2017); Ocrevus (July 2017 - current)

Comment

I have an AFO like Koko and can barely move without it, ugly and annoying as it is, it works very well for me, I have had it fixed several times as the rubber wears out. Unfortunately the Walkaid which I tried for a couple of days did not work for me at all.

Comment

My AFO is the softfit one by boiness, its light and easy to move with, hope it gives you some idea of AFO.

Comment

Thank you every one I go Monday for an afo

Comment

Thank you every one I go Monday for an afo
                Hi DebRA

How did your AFO appointment go?

Take Care
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

It didn't apparently now I we be going some where else Friday to get sized thanks for asking

Comment

reply to afo - Matrix

i had the plastic (heavey and hot, i thought) and shifted to the Matrix, which is very light weight. i use them on both legs, they are very light and comfy.

Comment

Working...
                    X