Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

I had my consultative exam today, it lasted 45 minutes. I have been diagnosed with bipolar depression, PTSD, and anxiety. I was first diagnosed at the age of 7 with ADHD, as the years went on, my symptoms worsened. I've been taking medications for years. I don't understand why I had to be sent to a consultative exam when my dds caseworker already has my recent medical records. I also don't understand why my exam was so short? She also told me she was going to get my report sent in tomorrow so the process could be moved along. What does that even mean? None of this stuff is making any sense to me. Does anyone have any answers? If so please enlighten me. Thanks

Hi Lovingyou,

I am no expert and have never had a consultative exam, but I found this online from FindLaw that explains a lot and hope it might help answer your questions:

"Some examples of when a consultative exam may be necessary are:

1. The additional evidence needed is not contained in the claimant's existing medical records.

2. The evidence that may have been available from a claimant's doctors can't be obtained, for reasons that are beyond the claimant's control, such as the death of or noncooperation by a medical provider.

3. There is an inconsistency in the claimant's medical records.

4. Highly technical or specialized medical evidence is needed.

5. There is an indication of a change in the claimant's condition that is likely to affect the claimant's ability to work, or if the claimant is a child, will affect the child's functioning.

Federal regulations indicate that the preferred source for the consultative exam is the claimant's treating doctor, but the DDS is authorized to order the exam with an independent doctor."

http://socialsecurity.findlaw.com/so...ive-exams.html

The time spent on these exams are explained and your exam time appears to be within the normal parameters, depending on which type of exam was given. ?

I assume you are in the process of applying for SSDI benefits?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

LovingYou,The SSA requests consultative examination in a large minority of cases, especially psychological claims which are notoriously difficult to determine. Some adjusters request these examinations very frequently. Such a request simply indicates that the adjuster sees something in your claim, but not enough (yet) to justify immediate approval. Sometimes they may also be awaiting records from one or more of your treating providers (although you indicated this wasn't the case). In theory, the consultative examination will provide the adjuster with the something extra they need to make a decision. A 45 minute examination is a longer examination compared to what I typically see. In many states, the examiners do not get paid until they issue their report, so they do so within days of the examination itself. In my region, we often see decisions issued approximately one month after the examination occurs.Good luck!
      Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
      X