No announcement yet.

High levels of myelin basic protein, white blood cells, and evoked potentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High levels of myelin basic protein, white blood cells, and evoked potentials

Hi everyone,

I am posting to see if anyone could help me figure this out. I have had MS like symptoms for many years (tingling, fatigue, tremors, balance problems, visions issues, etc...) but never showed any lesions on the MRI. I did however have 2 positive evoked potentials.

I went for a Spinal Tap last week because of increased pressure causing headaches. Coincidentally, my results came back with a few white blood cells and high levels of myelin basic protein. Neuro said this was nothing to worry about.

Of course when I google, it says these are actually things to worry about... Has anyone ever had experience with positive evoked potentials, a few white blood cells, and high levels of myelin basic protein in their CSF?

I am just so frustrated with this... I have been diagnosed with RA and Lupus but really don't feel like they are the right diagnosis.

Originally posted by stephisme View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am posting to see if anyone could help me figure this out. I have had MS like symptoms for many years (tingling, fatigue, tremors, balance problems, visions issues, etc...) but never showed any lesions on the MRI. I did however have 2 positive evoked potentials.

I went for a Spinal Tap last week because of increased pressure causing headaches. Coincidentally, my results came back with a few white blood cells and high levels of myelin basic protein. Neuro said this was nothing to worry about.

Of course when I google, it says these are actually things to worry about... Has anyone ever had experience with positive evoked potentials, a few white blood cells, and high levels of myelin basic protein in their CSF?

I am just so frustrated with this... I have been diagnosed with RA and Lupus but really don't feel like they are the right diagnosis.
    Hi stephisme

Elevated IgG antibodies and Oligoclonal Bands are the typical findings for an abnormal immune response in MS. Wondering if your results show anything pertaining to those findings?

I would ask your neuro what would cause the high level of myelin basic protein. You deserve an answer as to what would cause that. I would think that is from myelin breakdown.

Also, I wonder if it's possible for you to get a second opinion? That might ease your mind somewhat.

So sorry you have to go through this frustration.

Wishing you the best.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

High/elevated levels of Myelin Basic Protein is a sign your body is working to REPAIR myelin damage. It's a relatively new test, so it might, or might not yet be considered proof of MS. However it is one more factor that can support a MS Dx. My CSF MBP was elevated.

Comment

Working...
      X