Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing Jamie Hall, our MSW volunteer attorney!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Jamie Hall, our MSW volunteer attorney!

Please welcome our new Attorney, Jamie Hall, who will be answering your SSDI and LTD questions here.

By way of background, he is a Social Security and long-term disability attorney who has assisted a clientele of approximately 50% multiple sclerosis patients in 18 states. He has previously provided numerous seminars and webinars for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Can-Do MS, and other related organizations.

Additionally, he recently assisted in editing the National MS Society's guidebook on the Social Security disability claim product process.

We are very pleased he is here to assist you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
    Please welcome our new Attorney, Jamie Hall, who will be answering your SSDI questions here.

By way of background, he is a Social Security and long-term disability attorney who has assisted a clientele of approximately 50% multiple sclerosis patients in 18 states. He has previously provided numerous seminars and webinars for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Can-Do MS, and other related organizations.

Additionally, he recently assisted in editing the National MS Society's guidebook on the Social Security disability claim product process.

We are very pleased he is here to assist you!
    Welcome to you, Jamie Hall! So glad to have you here! Thank you!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome and thanks for joining us.
      No offense, but I hope I never need the service you provide.
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Welcome Jamie! As someone who was denied LTD and SSDI, and had to appeal both before being awarded the benefits, I thank you. It seems SSDI and LTD carriers count on people not appealing, so your guidance will help many!
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello all -- I'm happy to help, and hope that we can make the Social Security message board more active and helpful moving forward. I'll do my best to provide prompt information, and look forward to working with you to make the disability claim and appeal processes less stressful.
          Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Welcome! As a volunteer moderator who is not employed, I certainly appreciate a busy attorney finding time to volunteer in addition to practicing law. Thanks for your assistance here on MSWorld.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Welcome Jamie!!

Good to see you are catching up on some pending questions - we were all trying to share and will continue to share our own experiences but each case can be so different. Looking forward to your posts...thanks.

Comment

Advice please

Hi Jamie:

First off, I'd like to thank you. I greatly appreciate that you have taken time to volunteer to help us out.

I have a question for you (and realize you may be limited in your advice), but I was awarded SSDI in December 2015. (I have SPMS, Menieres, chronic kidney problems) I used an attorney who assisted me in the process (unfortunately, she passed away last year -she was still working at 83!).

I had to go back to work in 2016 (20 hour week for appx. 4 months) ($12/hr), basically I needed some additional income to addition to SSDI to help pay for meds and then was laid off. This year I tried going back again at this same company (for one month) - but then needed kidney issues again requiring surgery. After recovering, I found another job in March ($9.50/hr as a CSR for a vet medicine practice). I was supposed to work only 15-20 hrs a week, which would keep me under SS limits.

I recently received communication from Social Security wanting to know about my 2016 employment and want to know if I've worked since them. They want to get me in their "returning to work" program. I recently had an exacerbation of my MS symptoms (3 days of Solumedrol IV)-
                I went to the Cleveland Clinic for this, so I was off three days, and the Clinic they want me to come back in October and November for follow up. (I live in southern Ohio).

I am unsure if I want to continue working - as the job is higher stress than I anticipated -and my work week is more like 24-28 hours, (one of my of my co-workers is leaving), my boss said I would need to work closer to 30 hours (generally there is overtime on Saturdays - five hour workday often turns into 8 hours. I have not disclosed my MS - when I had a Meniere's attack at work my boss/(wife of owner) got nervous (it is a small practice) and kept asking if I thought my "Meniere's would affect my ability to perform my job".

I can't afford to lose my SSDI, but the extra $$ from a true 15-20 hour work week really helps. Could you let me know how SSDI evaluates "work"/returning to work program?

Thank you in advance,
                Zoe
                Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
                It's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schultz

Comment

Zoe,

You have to be VERY careful when attempting part time work. Multiple former clients have called my office about part time work reviews over the past week, so there may be a 'ramping up' of the SSA's review program.

You've managed the first step appropriately, in that you let the SSA know about your attempts. Hopefully, you have also been keeping them advised of your earnings monthly as well, so they could modify your benefits on an ongoing basis.

The SSA's reviews for someone who is not self-employed are fairly straight forward, and focused on your income. If you've kept your paystubs, you can often simply send these in for review in response to the SSA's request, and they will provide a determination.

To avoid complications in these reviews, I advise my clients to keep their earnings at or below $800 per month, and their hours no greater than 20 to 25 hours per week. This work activity also provides some breathing room for the inevitable 'extra hours' required by most employers.

I wish you the best with the review and with your conditions. I have a location in Cleveland, and have often worked with the Cleveland Clinic's Mellen Center. You're in good hands medically.

-Jamie
                  Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Thank you Jamie for getting back to me. I am having a hard time getting over this last exacerbation- I'm home now, but still feel crummy, I think for now, I am going to give my two weeks notice today, the stress of my job, combined with the constant worry of losing SSDI (and the Medicare!) are just not worth it for me at this time.

I used to live in Cleveland and agree the Mellen Center is the best, just wish it was closer, but who knows a move (ugh!) may be in my future as well.

Thanks again!
                    Zoe
                    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
                    It's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schultz

Comment

Jamie is an excellent resource!

Jamie represented me in my SSDI case and I want to say from first hand experience that we are extremely lucky to have him as a resource on this forum. He is very knowledgable about MS and understands how our unique struggles affect our ability to work.

When I first started this process I didn’t know where to turn and felt extremely overwhelmed. Once I found Jamie he made everything much less stressful. It was a true blessing being able to work with him.

I am simply sharing this information to help someone who was in my position feeling like they don’t know where to start. I encourage you to reach out to Jamie either on this forum or as an attorney for your case. There are not enough nice things to say about Jamie (and my brain can't put them into words, lol)!

Thank you Jamie for supporting the MS community and best wishes to all my fellow MS'ers!

Comment

Newly Diagnosed

I am But MS is already greatly affecting my life and my job. I am wondering what are the chances of getting approved for Social Security and does anybody know of representation in Arkansas.

Comment

Hello Jamie, I appreciate your support and response. I'm a 2 years away from being a full retirement age for social security. Given my retirement is not far off, is it advisable to apply for social security disability now? I am no longer able to work more than a few hours a day. Thank you
                          Littlemissy

Comment

LittleMissy,

From a financial perspective, there are multiple benefits to applying for SSDI rather than simply waiting and going the retirement route. First, a successful disability application would result in near-immediate payment of benefits at your full retirement rate. Otherwise, you would have to either (1) wait until full retirement age, or (2) collect early retirement but at a reduced rate. Second, the SSA uses several of your highest earning years to calculate your monthly benefit. If you simply wait for retirement, they will consider more of these years than if you file for disability. For instance, they may average your highest 32 years if you qualify for disability, but would average your highest 35 years if you wait for retirement. This may only result in a difference of $100 or so per month to your benefit, but that $100 per month adds up over the remainder of your life.

As you have stated, you are truly not able to work, despite your best efforts. As such, the only reason to not file for disability and to wait for retirement would be to avoid the stress that a Social Security Disability application may entail. For many, however, the application process is not too stressful.

Most individuals I speak with in your situation choose to file, and lock in benefits at the increased rate for the rest of their lives while beginning receipt of benefits shortly after leaving work.

Comment

Thank you very much. I appreciate your response!
                              Littlemissy

Comment

Working...
                              X