• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI and Medicare

Hi
    I'm still employed but looking into my options if I go on LTD
    I know LTD provider force me to apply for SSDI

I'm wondering if I'm under 60 and get approved for SSDI , will I be qualify for Medicare or not ?
    if not then I need to be concern about health insurance too.

thanks in advance

Originally posted by brave View Post
    Hi
    I'm still employed but looking into my options if I go on LTD
    I know LTD provider force me to apply for SSDI

I'm wondering if I'm under 60 and get approved for SSDI , will I be qualify for Medicare or not ?
    if not then I need to be concern about health insurance too.

thanks in advance
    Hi brave

I was in my 40's when approved for SSDI, and also qualified for Medicare, but I think I had to wait for two years from SSDI approval to be covered.

Hope this helps!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi brave

I was in my 40's when approved for SSDI, and also qualified for Medicare, but I think I had to wait for two years from SSDI approval to be covered.

Hope this helps!

Take Care
      Forgot to add that I was able to remain on my employer health insurance coverage during the 24 month period before Medicare.

Take Care
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

If approved for SSDI, it is still a 24 month waiting period from your disability date before you get Medicare. In my case, denied by SSDI, appealed but hearing took almost 20 months to get. They approved, granted back award to original disability date. Since it was already 24 months out, when approved for SSDI, also granted Medicare at same time.

You definitely need a healthcare plan while waiting, whether Cobra from employer, plan on open market, or spousal coverage. Really hope this country can do something to resolve our healthcare issue.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Brave - Medicare eligibility begins 29 months after your Social Security disability onset date (typically your last day of work). Best of luck with your planning!
          Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Thank you very much to all for your time replying to my question

Comment

Hi
              I have done some research and find it very hard/pricy to get medigap for under 60
              Would you please share your experience about getting medigap while under 60 and having pre-existing condition (MS)

Thanx

Comment

Hey brave, I got my approval for SSDI and also qualified for Medicare. I know 24 months is a long time for approval but it get covered Good Luck!!

Comment

Not sure how Medigap eligibility works.

On June 1 I will be working with a consulting company provided by my former employer which is two months before my Medicare eligibility date of Aug 1.

They are "pushing" me off of my current insurance. I will be under 60 on Aug 1 so not sure yet on how my insurance will be pieced together.

It will be interesting to read what others share.

Comment

I too am still employed, just under 60 and want to understand to ensure I have appropriate health coverage as I plan to start the disability process in the next few months.

A few question:

Is it 24 or 29 months? And is it after you apply for SSDI, or are approved for SSDI?
                    Are the timeframes different by states? I understand Cobra can go out to 36 months in California?

And Medicare will include both Parts A and B?

Learning Medigap F is a good choice for additional coverage (i.e deductibles, copayments, and more), that you need to have Part B to get Medigap?

And sounds like Medigap F will be discontinued in January of 2020, but will be grandfathered for those that have it.

I am getting ready to start the disability process in the next few months, is getting on Medigap F before 2020 doable?

Koko,
                    When you stayed with your employers health coverage, was that after STD and LTD?
                    And with Cobra?
                    For me the Cobra premium is high, but better than nothing.

Thanks for any feedback or other areas to consider.

Comment

Thanks for replies
                      Here is the sunny side scenario

I will be on employer plan for 3 months while on STD
                      then will go on COBRA for 24 months while on LTD

Meantime I will apply for SSDI and approved !!!

after 24/29 months will qualify for Medicare

Then Medicare will cover 80% of costs , we need another supplemental plan to fill the gap

That supplemental plan/ medigap are offered to 65+ (Medicare sends a booklet at open enrollment time , with all available plans offered to choose from)

Finding that supplemental plan for under 65 whom are on Medicare is hard

Would be appreciated if you share your experience if you're on Medicare & under 65 , what supplemental plan covers the gap for you ( between 80% Medicare coverage and 100% )

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by brave View Post
                        Finding that supplemental plan for under 65 whom are on Medicare is hard

Would be appreciated if you share your experience if you're on Medicare & under 65 , what supplemental plan covers the gap for you ( between 80% Medicare coverage and 100% )
                        Hi brave:

It may not be that helpful to know what supplemental plan someone else has because you are restricted to buying only a plan that's available in California. Plans available in California may have (and probably do have) different rates and terms than plans available in other states, even among plans sold by the same company in other states. Part of that is due to the differences in costs of medical services in California, the laws about what needs to be included in insurance plans sold in California, and laws about how insurers conduct business in California that may be different from business laws in other states. So you can't make any plans based on what applies to someone else in another state.

The Medicare website has a page with information about how to compare Medigap policies: https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...e-medigap.html.

Another Medicare website pate has information about when you can sign up for a supplemental and/or drug plan: https://www.medicare.gov/people-like...#collapse-3182.

It's also important to remember that you won't be able to participate in Medicare and a supplemental policy until at least the end of 2019 -- more than 2 years from now. That's 2 new federal budgets away, and the trend under the current administration is to cut benefits and limit the way they're applied. Anything you learn now may have changed and be wrong by 2019, and you'll have to start your Medigap search all over again in 2 years based on current laws and availabilities.

Comment

Hi brave,
                          From googling thr government Medicare website, it does state Medigap is available for those under 65 on disability; hence my prior post questions.

Hoping MSLaywer can shed some light on these questions.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
                            Koko,

When you stayed with your employers health coverage, was that after STD and LTD?
                            And with Cobra?
                            For me the Cobra premium is high, but better than nothing.

Thanks for any feedback or other areas to consider.
                            Hi bluegiraffe

Ok, here's how it was for me, working for the US Postal Service.

During the last few years of employment, I was covered under FMLA for intermittent absences, using accrued sick leave pay for compensation, and did not use STD.

I worked until I couldn't work one more day, and then I filed for USPS Disability and SSDI.

Fortunately, I was able to continue my same health insurance benefits, and qualify for Medicare after a 24 month waiting period.

Not sure if the continuing of my employee health insurance is called Cobra though? Or just the way that the Federal Employees Health Benefits plan is, allowing retirees to pay the same rate as if employed.

Also, I think the Medicare 24 month period starts from the date of SSDI entitlement/eligibility.

Hope you get the answers you need and good luck!

Take Care

Comment

Blue Giraffe,As for the timing for Medicare eligibility, it is technically 29 months after your disability is established. In laymen's terms, that's 29 months from the date the SSA points to as when your disability began, typically your date last worked. There is some confusion as to 24 vs. 29 months; this is because the SSA has a general five calendar month waiting period for all benefits (including cash payments), and there is an additional 24 month wait after this period to become Medicare eligible.For medical coverage, the options can vary greatly by state. Being able to stay on your employer's plan for three months while on STD will be a great help, as thereafter people are subject to expensive COBRA coverage, the open market or gap plans. Unfortunately, these vary greatly from state to state. We do not provide advisement on these plans due to the variability between states and the frequent changes in eligibility itself. I suggest you contact the AARP for state-specific information, as this is a major issue for their membership.I'm happy to hear that you are able to plan ahead. Best of luck as you move forward!
                              Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

Working...
                              X