Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allsup or lawyer? Need advice!

Hi everyone,

My doctor and I have decided it is time to apply for social security disability. I need help collecting my medical records (I don't even know where to start...I have had MS and many other conditions 15+ years) and with the application process. I am not well enough to do this myself and my social worker cannot assist.

Do you have recommendations for first time applicants? Does anyone have experience with Allsup? I am very skeptical and I do not want to make the wrong decision. I would really appreciate any advice you have!

Thanks!

There is a small conversation on Allsup under a thread titles "Service Companies" in this forum. I know they are frequently used by LTD carriers to help their claimants also obtain SSDI ( not out of their concern, but so they can offset the amount paid by SSDI and lower the LTD benefit amount).I filed on my own, was denied and used a lawyer for appeal. With SSDI lawyer, they only get paid if you wi and maxes at $6,000. However, they can bill separately for fees, so charges doctors may invoke for the documentation, filling out forms, etc...My lawyer told me that the medical history isn't as important on SSDI, as you are proving why you can't work now. So relating the conditions you have and associated impact on work is the crucial part. This does require some history of diagnosis and doctors you see ongoing to treat and their support for your disability filing. But records, just for your records sake, aren't too important.Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you, Kathy! I appreciate your response! I am already so stressed out and I haven't even applied yet. I keep hearing so many negative things about the application process and denial. I really wanted to avoid applying, but it is my only option unfortunately.

Comment

I used Allsup and have provided input to the other threads - they made the application process easy as they completed all the required forms based on my input via online and phone interviews.

My LTD policy required me to apply for SSDI and they offered Allsup to help me and covered the cost. It was in their best interest since they offset their payment to me by the SSDI award.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
          I used Allsup and have provided input to the other threads - they made the application process easy as they completed all the required forms based on my input via online and phone interviews.

My LTD policy required me to apply for SSDI and they offered Allsup to help me and covered the cost. It was in their best interest since they offset their payment to me by the SSDI award.
          Pb909 -

Thank you for your response! It's nice to hear from someone who used Allsup! I think that's the route I am going to go. I need all the help I can get!

Comment

Working...
          X