Heat and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat and MS

So I've heard about how the heat can be a problem for those with MS, but I had no idea what that meant. Until now. Yesterday was a fairly warm and muggy day here in Eugene (yes rainy Eugene has warm days too). I was outside working in the yard for a couple hours when it hit. Like a ton of bricks just landed on me. I could barely move, legs wobbly, mind fuzzy. My wife was outside and saw me, helped me into the house and put cool washcloths on me. I slept the rest of the day.

Today I still feel exhausted although the heaviness has lifted. I really like the summers; we get so much rain and cold that it's nice to enjoy the few warm months we get. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to enjoy any of the warm weather this summer. How do you all cope with the heat?

Originally posted by slm96 View Post
    So I've heard about how the heat can be a problem for those with MS, but I had no idea what that meant. Until now. Yesterday was a fairly warm and muggy day here in Eugene (yes rainy Eugene has warm days too). I was outside working in the yard for a couple hours when it hit. Like a ton of bricks just landed on me. I could barely move, legs wobbly, mind fuzzy. My wife was outside and saw me, helped me into the house and put cool washcloths on me. I slept the rest of the day.

Today I still feel exhausted although the heaviness has lifted. I really like the summers; we get so much rain and cold that it's nice to enjoy the few warm months we get. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to enjoy any of the warm weather this summer. How do you all cope with the heat?
    Hi slm96:

Heat and humidity really affect my ability to function too.

I have to stay inside with air conditioning in the summer on hot and/or humid days or I get really wiped out and very weak.

Even just getting warm from making something on the stove, moving around the apartment doing light housework etc, or having a slight fever really affects me.

Cold beverages help. There are cooling vests that some with MS use too.

This info from the National MS Society may be helpful:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Liv...re-Sensitivity

Take Care
    Last edited by KoKo; 05-05-2017, 10:32 PM. Reason: added NMSS link
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I truly detest the way the MonSter has taken away the fun of a hot summer day.

Hats are now a "best friend". They keep the direct sun off and thus provide some relief before it gets bad.
      Extra water is super important. It is so easy to dehydrate in the heat, and that helps the "wall" from hitting as quickly. Go easy on the caffeine - even cold drinks with it can be counter-productive. Alcohol too.
      Take breaks. Getting inside or in the shade is a huge help.
      Cooling gear, vests, scarves, hats, etc. are great for longer times in the heat. Some can be really inexpensive and you can find cooling towels/scarves in most sporting goods stores, Amazon has a wide selection of these too.
      Biggest help for me is being aware of when it is time to quit. Quitting before that wall comes down on me shortens my recovery a lot.

And if you're ever in the Kendal Honda in Eugene, say hi to my "little brother" Sam in the parts department. He's the best kind of friend!
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Love the heat, hate the effects

Originally posted by slm96 View Post

I totally feel your pain--I'm in New England and LOVE our warm days because there are relatively few. And we don't have A/C becuase, well, we don't get a lot of heat. But when we do, I'm torn about being out in it and suffering the consequences.

I know people recommend vests and washcloths--I have to say the most effective for me has been to go directly to a cold shower. I know, I know, that sounds hellish, but when you're overheated it actually feels pretty good. And nothing cools me off faster or more effectively than 5 minutes under a cold stream. The other options really don't work for me consistently or quickly enough. Don't know if it would be that useful for you, but it helps me with, especially, the day after functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by emwojcik View Post
          ... I know people recommend vests and washcloths--I have to say the most effective for me has been to go directly to a cold shower. I know, I know, that sounds hellish, but when you're overheated it actually feels pretty good. And nothing cools me off faster or more effectively than 5 minutes under a cold stream...
          Yep. It works for me also.

Otherwise I limit my time outside to early morning / late afternoon, and even then I take breaks. Having limited time outside makes it harder to 'finish' projects in a timely manner ( Last year it took me over 2 months to finish what in the past would have been a 'week-end' job).

It is getting HOT here in SC, and I have not even had the chance to get started on outside stuff this year. Think that I may just sit this year out - there is always the farmers market for vegs, and DH will be needing my help for a while as he recovers from surgery.

Comment

Working...
          X