Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SunLife LTD- anyone have experience with this company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SunLife LTD- anyone have experience with this company?

Am going to transition to LTD SunLife. Wondering if anyone has gone down their path before me.

Below is a link for a disability attorney website with a section devoted to Sun Life disability coverage and claims, videos, and comments from policy holders who's claims have been denied.

www.diattorney.com/sunlife/

In the event there's a problem with the link, try google search term diattorney sunlife.

Not sure exactly what transition to Sun Life involves, if you are transferring coverage from another carrier or a transitioning to filing a claim. Hope the link helps and best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
      Am going to transition to LTD SunLife. Wondering if anyone has gone down their path before me.

Sun Life was pretty easy for a while and then they weren't ....
      http://www.lexislegalnews.com/articl...erans-benefits

Comment

authorizations for release of information

Anyone have experience NOT allowing the release of non-health related information?

How about not releasing psychotherapy notes as they are not related to the MS, for me?

Comment

With another carrier, I only provided doctors that were part of my treatment for disability. So neuro and neuropsychiatrist. When they reviewed my medicines, saw I was on a bladder medicine and antidepressant. So they wanted access to the psychiatrist/psychologist. They didn't care about urologist as I did not say part of disability. But they wanted psych, even though not part of my claimed disability. I had to give access or they could deny benefits.The reason they wanted is that there is a 2 year provision that would allow them to discontinue benefits for depression, anxiety, or other mental illness, unless being treated at in-house facility.They did try to deny at 2 year for this reason, but I won on appeal.If your medical records indicate you are being treated for something, you may need to release. Or if their form asks if being treated for any other conditions, I think you need to be honest. If there is any evidence of lying or purposeful omission, can go against you. One I met with an attorney for appeal, his number one piece of advice was to never lie to the carrier. If you are really worried, is it worth a consult to a lawyer that specializes in ERISA law? If you don't have it, make sure you have the actual LTD policy, regardless if you use lawyer or not.Good luck.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've seen SunLife demand psychological treatment notes for multiple claims in Pennsylvania where psych issues were not the driving force behind the claim. As previously suggested, there is a two-year limitation on payments for psych-based claims in many policies, and the insurer has a financial interest in using this provision. Nevertheless, the policy will often require that all medical providers be disclosed and authorization to pursue all records be provided. Importantly, the policy should permit you to appeal at the two year mark, if not earlier, if this provision is used inappropriately.
            Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean "transitioning to Sun Life LTD". I transitioned from STD to LTD with Sun LIfe, no issues and that was 9 years ago. Good luck.
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

SunLife STD to SunLife LTD.

Comment

Working...
                X