New MSer here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MSer here

Hi all-just got diagnosed on Monday-now sitting in the infusion center on day 4 of IVMP. Neuro says another round of MRI's with contrast next week then we figure out a treatment plan.

My life has been turned upside down overnight. Obviously I've had symptoms for a long time like most before diagnosis, but I always thought there would be some simple explanation. Maybe a vitamin deficiency or something.

Now that I know what it is, I'm reading a lot about MS and realize how long this has been going on and all the other things I never thought were related really are. For example, I was already scheduled for heart echo, carotid echo, and tilt table before I got the dx, and now I get it that dysautomnia is just another symptom. Who'da thunk.

Anyway, I think my wife is having more trouble with it than me. I'm 52 yo man married with two kids and three grandkids, my wife and I were just planning our bucket lists for retirement, and it seems we may have to rearrange all that. I know she is in shock, much as I still am, just wish she would talk about it.

I guess there's no prognosis type planning with this, no one seems to know how fast progression will be, if at all, but at my age and the symptom progression it appears PPMS is going to be the final Dx.

Could really use some encouragement. Thanks for listening.

Hi slm96

Welcome to MS World. Hopefully you'll find a unique understanding here, as there are members who can relate to what you're going through.

Sounds like your doctor is being proactive. You're early in diagnosis, and there is treatment now for PPMS (Ocrevus). Perhaps knowing that can give you hope
    Originally posted by slm96 View Post
    I guess there's no prognosis type planning with this, no one seems to know how fast progression will be, if at all, but at my age and the symptom progression it appears PPMS is going to be the final Dx.
    You are right that no one can know how fast, or in what way, any individual with MS will progress.

Best to take each day as it comes, dealing with whatever that particular day presents, and with a hopeful attitude.

Let us know when you find out more, ok?

Wishing you all the best.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi slm96 and welcome to MSWorld.

but at my age and the symptom progression it appears PPMS is going to be the final Dx.
      I would not assume you will be diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.

I've had symptoms for a long time
      Now that I know what it is, I'm reading a lot about MS and realize how long this has been going on and all the other things I never thought were related really are.
      It's very common to have MS long before being diagnosed with it. Many symptoms are easily brushed aside and put down as an odd occurrence or some other reason.

The most commonly diagnosed MS is Relapsing/Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS). If over the years you had "symptoms" but they would go away and/or get milder then this is most likely RRMS. Over time and the more years you have RRMS the more likely that is will become noticeably progressive. This progression can be slow, fast or anything in between.

RRMS can transition to Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (SPMS). At no time will RRMS transition to PPMS.

This was a lengthy answer to say; it's possible you don't have PPMS but have transitioned to SPMS.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by slm96 View Post
        Now that I know what it is, I'm reading a lot about MS and realize how long this has been going on and all the other things I never thought were related really are.
        Hi and welcome to MSW, slm96! This seems to be very common with most of us here and yes, it can turn our world upside down. For me, I was kind of relieved to finally know there was a name to all my weird symptoms. I was originally told that I had a stroke and later, a nervous breakdown.

Anyway, I think my wife is having more trouble with it than me. I'm 52 yo man married with two kids and three grandkids, my wife and I were just planning our bucket lists for retirement, and it seems we may have to rearrange all that. I know she is in shock, much as I still am, just wish she would talk about it.
        I remember my loved ones all freaked when I was finally given a correct diagnosis. I remember having to reassure so many that I was going to be ok. You and your wife will be able in time to move through the shock of it all. It does take time and that's OK too as it's all part of the process towards final acceptance.

I would stick to that bucket list within reason and rest assured there will be plenty of time to do much of what you've planned! And like KoKo says, Ocrevus has shown promising results! Many here has already started on this new drug.

Hope you can move forward with ease and come back often for support and questions answered.. We're all here to help!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello and welcome! I'm sorry to meet you due to MS. I hope that the steroid treatment has a positive affect on whatever symptoms that you are having and that you will be feeling better soon. You will find a new comfort zone where future planning still exist, even with MS.

Give yourself and your wife time to process everything and remember that everyone deals with things in their own way. Just said a prayer for you and your family!

Comment

Thanks all

Thank you all for the encouragement. I guess there's a sort of familiarity here amongst strangers when you share a common enemy.

I really haven't come to grips with this yet and not sure I want to. The steroid treatment kicked me in the behind this weekend but I think I'm on the other side now. Haven't seen much change yet in the symptom department. Probably too soon. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll post some things in other forum topics soon. In the meantime wish me luck with the MRI's this week.

Comment

Hello sim96,

Just wanted to welcome you and to say you are not alone and I hope your sx's get better soon.

Keep that bucket list going. You still have a lot of life to live.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
              X