Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tecfidera to Aubagio

Hey everyone!

I am getting ready to start Aubagio. I was on Tec for less than two months and was writhed with GI, flushing, acne issues. IT. WAS. TERRIBLE. The final nail in the coffin was my left (weaker) leg swelling and redness. Sad part is, I could feel my walk getting stronger. The swelling comes and goes now.

Anyway, about Aubagio, I would like to know how people are doing on this med?Are the side effects tremendous? Any GI issues? I read about the hair loss, but just in testimonials from the "new med packet" I am really looking forward to having minimal side effects. If that sounds selfish it wasn't my intent. I was on Extavia for the better part of my diagnosis and had 0 side effects. It's all new to me.

Thank you all for any help

Aubagio over 4 years

I was prescribed Aubagio 3 weeks after it was approved in the US. It was my first DMD. At first there were no problems but I did lose some hair but not too much. I started taking Biotin to help with hair growth.

I did develop high blood pressure and it may have been the Aubagio. I have some stomach issues but they have gotten better with some meds my doctor prescribed.

I have not had any new lesions in over 4 years but though my doctors say "not yet" I believe I have gone to SPMS. I now have to walk with a cane, cannot drive a car, among other things. But that has nothing to do with the Aubagio. I was dx later in life and had had MS for at least 10 years before.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying and for the info I had to take "provisions" before I took the Tec morning and evening. Way more extensive than a hair growth pill and an aspirin

The blood pressure does bother me a bit but I'm 34 so, maybe, that will help. Ha. Who knows.

I'm sorry you've had to endure so much. Positive vibes to you, friend.

Thanks again for your input

Comment

Hi,
        A couple of the reasons I decided against Tecfidera was the twice daily dosing & needing to eat a meal before the dose to "avoid" various side effects. Way too much like work & I would probably never get 2 doses in in a day.
        I've been taking Aubagio for 2 yr, 4 months. I've had next to nothing in the way of side effects. Very mild diarrhea, didn't even take any Imodium or Pepto, that's how mild it was. As for the hair? I did notice more hair in my brush & when I shampooed, but not a single person noticed it. Not even after I told them about it. It started around the 4th month & lasted about 2-3 months. It's all grown back in & looks fine.
        Yes, I did the monthly blood tests, and am now down to every 6 months. I've got to get other bloodwork that often anyway when I see my PCP, so he makes sure to test for WBC and liver functions at the same time. All my levels have remained "very nice" (I quote my neurologist).
        The main annoying thing is the crazy "child proof packaging". ugh, its like getting those cold medicine capsules out of the individual bubble packs. A bottle would have been far nicer.

Good luck - keep us posted?

Tina
        "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
        Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
        X