Aubagio and SPMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aubagio and SPMS?

Anyone have any info on Aubagio and SPMS? My neuro would like me to take it, but I am having a really horrid time with Nerve Pain and find it counterintuitive to go on a med that is (1) not meant to treat my disease and (2) can cause nerve pain.

Thanks!

As far as I know, Aubagio is for relapsing MS.
    This is a quote from the Aubagio web site about how the med works:

AUBAGIO works differently than other MS therapies. It is believed to block the replication of overactive immune cells (including T- and B-cells) that attack and damage the nerves in the central nervous system.

Sounds like your doctor may believe that the "blocking" would help slow your progression.

As for the nerve pain, I can only relate my experience. I've had Trigeminal Neuralgia for (way too many) years. That is some hideous nerve pain. After 2 yrs, 4 months on Aubagio I have not had any increase in that nerve pain.

Best wishes - whatever your decision is.
    "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
    Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by HereIam View Post
      Anyone have any info on Aubagio and SPMS? My neuro would like me to take it, but I am having a really horrid time with Nerve Pain and find it counterintuitive to go on a med that is (1) not meant to treat my disease and (2) can cause nerve pain....
      I was on it a few years ago and I have SPMS. I think it made me nauseated, but do not remember any nerve pain. Have you read up on the web site for Aubagio??
      Peace to all,
      LM
      RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

I've been on Aubagio about 1 1/2 years now. It hasn't given me nerve pain. I think the most common side effects are GI problems and hair loss. I think I likely have SPMS now because I don't have relapses at all anymore. My doctor still defines me as having RRMS though.

I still have some GI issues and I started taking biotin supplements to counter the hair loss and my hair is actually thicker and healthier than it has ever been.
        Take care, Wiz
        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted advice and experience on Aubagio.

I finally started it this week... and failed. Took first dose on Wednesday and about a half hour after taking the dose, my mouth, tongue and lips went numb. I call the One on One nurse who put me through to the pharmacist who put me through to a Novartis safety person. They told me it was nothing to worry about, but that I should call my neuro.

I didn't call because he's a pain in the brain to get to

So, I took a dose on the second day. 1/2 hour later my lips tongue and mouth went numb and I got a feeling of pins and needles being stuck in my hands, arms and feet. It was really intense. I called the neuro office and the neuro on call said "you are done, this is an allergic reaction," and he told me I didn't need a washout, they do that only for liver problems.

Well, I still have the pins in needles in my hands and at times a tightness in my throat and also spells of what I'm sure is high blood pressure.

So, does anyone know if taking only 2 doses means it won't be retained for 2 years, and these symptoms will fade away in not too much time?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X