Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for information/advice on transfer devices

Hello everyone.
    I have a friend whose wife has MS and has gotten to the point where she has limited use of her legs and requires someone to help her stand up a number of times in the morning before she can use her walker. They are currently looking into powered chairs but the issue is transfer from bed to chair, chair to toilet, etc.
    Her right arm is weak and left arm is >90% functional.
    I am looking for advice, direction, etc on several things.

1st: We are looking into the possibilities of a system that would allow her to be independent of someone present in transfers. A system in which she could move herself out of the bed into the chair and also a device to move her from chair to toilet and back to chair on her own.
    2nd: If this is not really a possibility, then looking at transfer systems that would allow an individual present to assist with transfer that requires minimum strength/effort on the caregivers part. He has spine issues.

If anyone has any experience, advice in the use of transfer devices or lift systems please let me know.
    Also, if you have any advice on his situation based on your own experience, please pass on that hard earned experience.

Thanks
    David

Originally posted by davidlw View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I have a friend whose wife has MS and has gotten to the point where she has limited use of her legs and requires someone to help her stand up a number of times in the morning before she can use her walker. They are currently looking into powered chairs but the issue is transfer from bed to chair, chair to toilet, etc.
    Her right arm is weak and left arm is >90% functional.
    I am looking for advice, direction, etc on several things.

1st: We are looking into the possibilities of a system that would allow her to be independent of someone present in transfers. A system in which she could move herself out of the bed into the chair and also a device to move her from chair to toilet and back to chair on her own.
    2nd: If this is not really a possibility, then looking at transfer systems that would allow an individual present to assist with transfer that requires minimum strength/effort on the caregivers part. He has spine issues.

If anyone has any experience, advice in the use of transfer devices or lift systems please let me know.
    Also, if you have any advice on his situation based on your own experience, please pass on that hard earned experience.

Thanks
    David
    my father was left paralyzed after a surgery. I used a Hoyer lift for him to get from a bed to a chair
    I have MS and it was not too hard and it didnt hurt my back.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
      I will look into it as a viable option.
      Its so difficult to know what works and what doesn't.

David

Comment

Hi David, I think that it is great to try to help your friend and his wife. There my be a site for people who are spinal cord injuries that may have more knowledge about transfers, or you could go into a medical supply store, I'm sure they could put you in touch with someone/website.

Good luck and good job for being a true friend.

Comment

How to transfer

Hello, I'm in a similar situation. I use a wheelchair and I can transfer from wheelchair to toilet, chair to sofa, bed to chair -- but not without some difficulty. There is something called a "transfer board" to help with these transfers, but I need someone to show me how to use the board properly.

I've been searching for an occupational therapist to come to my home and show me how to make these transfers safely, but I have had no luck finding one so far. Your friend might want to check with the local hospital outpatient rehab program. He/she may find it helpful. I did it for a while, but though they were helpful as far as accessing my abilities and recommending exercises for me, they still didn't give me any practical advise on how to move from here to there to there. And they did not have at-home services. So I'm still searching.

Anyway, I hope these comments are helpful to you.

Comment

With my progressive MS I think I'm heading to needing further assistance like a board or lift.

I'm still able to stand and transfer from my wheelchair to chair, or to bed and so forth with a struggle - basically standing up with my walker with my wife's assistance, then pivoting and flopping down.

Back of my mind thinking about probably needing OT at home for an evaluation and advisement, and wondering if rental of things like a lift are an option to try since it looks like they are expensive.

I'm interested in following other's experiences.

Comment

Working...
            X