Overcoming MS diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcoming MS diet

I'm in the process of reading Professor Jelinek's book and wondered whether anyone had actually had any success going to the lengths suggested in this book? It seems pretty radical and very hard to stick to in the 'real' world.

I'm only part way through the book and have to say that I'm not particularly enjoying it - for him to tell people that it's basically their own fault they have MS doesn't really sit well with me.

more info

Can you give me what his overall approach is on the diet? How similar is it to the diet off the MS-direct website?
    I have an interest in the effects that diet have with our health in general but am recently interested in MS related issues due to a new friend's wife having MS and at the point of losing use of her legs.
    Thanks
    David

Comment

I just looked some into the approach.
      I will be digging in deeper but the basic diet follows what I have found to be beneficial with others diseases and health issues of today.
      My wife and I have been going towards a very similar diet with no prior knowledge of Swank or Jelinek's approach.
      In the past several years I have seen a significant change in my health and labs taking a similar diet approach.
      I'll get back once i have had time to look deeper into things.
      Ordering book now.
      David

Comment

The diet says to avoid:

Meat, including processed
        Eggs (except egg whites)
        Dairy products
        Biscuits, pastries, cakes, unless fat-free
        Commercial baked goods
        Prepared mixes
        Snacks
        Margarine, shortening, chocolate, coconut and palm oil
        Fried and deep-fried foods, except those fried without oil
        Most fast foods
        Altered fats and oils

I have no problem with most of this but to cut out all meat, dairy products and egg yolks is quite radical, and I'd rather die than go without chocolate (laughing here). I also can't stand fish and it is horrendously expensive where I live. Other authors of MS diets say that you physically cannot get everything you need from non meat sources.

The diet also allows grains including gluten, which when you read what other researchers have written, can be quite bad for people with MS. Dr David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain talks about gluten actually causing our brains to be inflamed but because there aren't any pain receptors in there, we don't overtly 'know' about it.

I've read and more or less followed the Wahl's diet for the last year or two as it's a bit more middle of the road (Paleo type approach) but am always looking into the 'options' when it comes to helping myself.

To say I'm confused would probably be putting it mildly.

Comment

Hi Poppy,
          IMO all of the diets that have been studied can be traced back to around the end of WWII ! I have read about 20 books that show a connection between diet and MS. And all of the books make suggestions for a MSer's diet and recipes that are beneficial for a MS sufferer. Dr. John McDougall has been on the front lines of fighting MS for several years. I hope that you uncover something that works for you. Good luck

Comment

Hi Poppy,
            I'd like to add to my previous post. The book that is really important to MS and diet was written by Dr. Roy Swank. It has a lot of diet suggestions and information . And good reipes, too ! Good luck

Comment

Hi poppy,
              A lot of the grains that are recommended are lentils and quinoa etc - grains that don't contain gluten.

I'm Australian and grew up on a property where we butchered our own meat.
              Needless to say all meat has always been a very big part of our diet and to cut down to one very small portion per month of red meat and only a small serve of chicken or fish once a week was very difficult at first for my husband and i. I did the fast mimic diet for about 10 weeks then went on to Mediterranean diet.

But we did adjust. in fact we have both commented that we now don't enjoy they things we used to and even feel ill if we eat something we normally wouldn't.
              It's actually the shopping for the correct things that takes the most effort to adapt to.
              All the best,
              Caroline.

Comment

Working...
              X