Costochondritis pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costochondritis pain

Anybody else have costrochondtis pain? This has just been terrible for me. Sometimes with the hug. Always the left side. My fingers go numb on my left hand, my ribs hurt, my left breast, everything to the left of my spine about halfway down my body. 😳

Hi,
    Every thing you said is typical of the condition.
    How long have you been experiencing this?
    Has a doc given you any options?
    The spasticity that's causing the hugs may be causing the inflammation that causes costrochondtis pain.
    Are you taking anything to manage spasticity? anti-inflammatories?
    Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
      Hi,
      Every thing you said is typical of the condition.
      How long have you been experiencing this?
      Has a doc given you any options?
      The spasticity that's causing the hugs may be causing the inflammation that causes costrochondtis pain.
      Are you taking anything to manage spasticity? anti-inflammatories?
      Caroline
      Wow I had no idea that the spasticity could be cause the costochondritis. I was not taking anything. I do not have a nuerologist right now. I'm thinking if it happens again to that degree I can see my family doctor.

Comment

I have so much pain in my ribs right now I'm just about in tears. It's the weekend and Monday is a statutory holiday so can't get back to my PCP until at least Tuesday . I saw him on Friday and had a pile of blood tests so presume he ruled out heart issues. I've already upped my Gabapentin to 1500 mg per day and have been taking Ibuprofen, Paracetamol and Naproxen in the hope of getting at least a modicum of relief.

Not sure what else I can do

Comment

Hi Poppy,
          Have you tried heat?
          I wrap a heated wheat pack around the upper back / ribs etc until all areas have relaxed a bit while sitting at rest.
          A hot water bottle or anything similar would do.
          I usually make it as hot as bare able, just be careful not to burn yourself.
          All the best , let us know how you are doing,
          Caroline.

Comment

Thanks Caroline.

Heat actually makes things a whole lot worse. I got a little bit warm in bed and it honestly felt like I had a steel cable tightly wrapped around my lower ribs. Consequently I've been trying to stay slightly on the cool side, which seems to help somewhat thank goodness.

I'll go back to my GP tomorrow and see whether he can give me something to make my rib muscles relax - I read last night that this could go on for months so really need to find something to keep me kind of functioning.

Comment

good luck poppy

Comment

MS HUG

I was DX with MS in 2002. I have had this problem since about 2004. It is primarily on my right side (but can be both) and is brutal. It will come and go but when I have it, I will have it for months.

It affects my back, my side, my ribs under my breast, and even my right arm. It is a true spasm so it has to be treated as such. Even though it is a spasm, it causes inflammation around the ribs. I can poke certain places on my ribs and go through the roof.

If you get relief from heat when you have a spasm, use that. If you get relief from a spasm with ice, use that. I can sometimes stretch it out by raising my right arm and bending to the left. Sometimes that hurts so much it brings me to my knees, so I quit. I have been told by many professionals that if I would stretch my back and sides on a regular basis it would help this problem. But my pain level usually prohibits me from too much activity.

My Doctor prescribes muscle relaxers for me. Spasms are my biggest problem. I take Baclofen and Diazepam 4 times a day (I think its 10mg). That will usually keep it to a tolerable level.

Lying flat and breathing deep will help you relax and any relaxation will help with the spasm.

Good luck and I feel your pain.

Comment

Working...
                X