Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen

Anyone have side effects from Baclofen? What is your dose and did you start slowly? I just started this drug and it is difficult to get up and around. Any advice?

I take baclofen. Yes it DID cause me to feel sleepy at first, but over time that side effect has gone away.

When I started taking it I was rx'ed up to 40 mg / day with 20 mg pills which I split, so 10 mg 4x/day. Actually during a bad patch of spasticity I maxed out on 80 mg a day, but am currently taking between 30 - 50 mg a day.

I believe that it only stays in your system for like 4 hours and so I take 10 mg throughout the day to attempt to keep the amount in my system 'steady'. BTW my neuro allows me to adjust the dosage as needed up to 80 mg/day, but since it works at a lower dosage that is where I try to keep it .

Good luck during the 'getting adjusted to it' period. As I recall it didn't take very long but I understand that when every day is spent trying to stay awake it seems like forever.

Comment

I have been on it for so many years ?? I am rx'd 10 mg 6 times a day. This seems to work for me.
      Good Luck
      Linda

Comment

Hi suenan,

Baclofen is one of the very few symptom management medications that was FDA approved for MS Spasticity. When taking Baclofen it is important to start out slowly, increase very slowly and if getting off of Baclofen decreasing very slowly.

Baclofen can cause sleepiness but when your body gets used to the current dose that side effect will go away...usually. Each time an increase is made expect to feel more tired until your body once again adjusts.

I have been on and off Baclofen several times through the years. Currently I take 10mg 4 times a day.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks everyone, this information is a big help. I have 10 mg tablets, but the script says to take two at a time. I think that's the problem.

Comment

Hi. I was prescribed one 3mg tablet three times a day. The second day I fell asleep and missed three hours of work. I also got rubber legs , that with mobility issues we not a good combination. I told my neuro that he would have a hard time getting his work done too if he was taking them!!! So now I only take one regularly before bed and only take them during the day if I'm really stiff. Otherwise I would rather put up with the stiffness than the side effects of the Medicean. Just my expirences. Every body is different. Made me spacey as well.
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Hi,
              The increased fatigue etc put me off Baclofen. Foggy enough too so found other ways to help with spasticity.
              All the best.

Comment

I take 15 mg at 6:00 am, 10 at 10:30, 15 at 3 pm and 20mg at 8 pm. I do get breakthroughs spasms when I exercise.

I started Marinol a few weeks ago, and that has improved my ability to recover fast from exertion, except today. Darn.

Comment

About a year

I've been taking Baclofen for about a year, after requesting it for spasticity in my legs. I started with 10mg every 8 hours as needed, but quickly found that it only lasts about 4 hours. I was advised to take 20mg every 8 hours, but feel very spacey when I take 20 mg. So now I take 10mg every 4 hours as needed.

I've noticed that a lot of posts on this thread say they take it constantly every day. Is that something I should be doing? My neurologist never told me one way or another, but she also never offered me anything for relief until I asked specifically for Baclofen.

Comment

I take 20mg 3 times per day. Just wanted to say, as Snoopy said to come off the medicine slowly, my neuro said when you just stop, it can cause seizures.
                    Jen
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi Suenan, I was on baclofen for a couple of months on a low dose but my head was constantly foggy, I couldn't concentrate couldn't focus I felt like I had been poisoned, it just wasn't for me, my neurologist wanted me on it so I persisted but couldn't handle the feeling, things weren't right in my head I have read good reports about the drug good luck Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X