Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survived Influenza B *phew* (Phew rhymes with flu hehee)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survived Influenza B *phew* (Phew rhymes with flu hehee)

I posted the end of January that I was new to MS World but not new to MS and that I was in the middle of a flare. The flare kept on, then one day I laid down and woke up not able to move my legs at all. Before I could walk somewhat with the help of a rollator whereas before the flare it was just me and my cane. I had even ordered a forearm cane which I never got to try because my flare was putting up a fight and I had to get a rollator.

Anyhoo... I started coming here, even chatted some and enjoyed it (The people on this site in chat and on the boards are all awesome!) but then some of you might have noticed I disappeared. Well, I woke up not able to even use the rollator and did the MS shuffle to the bathroom and back to bed. Within a bit, I started FREEZING and shaking from being so cold. I took my temperature and it was 100. My hubby left on his run to UT (I'm in CO, he went 2x a week split shift) and left the house keys on the rack and told me to rest in bed.

Fast forward, I was under every blanket I could find and had the strength to get to and I was shivering terribly. I took my temp it was over 103. Point something or other, I don't remember thanks again cog fog LoL ~ It was night so I couldn't get a hold of my PCP or neuro. The on call doc said to go to the hospital. I called my hubby and told him and told him. Granted I was still in bed thanks to cell phone I hadn't moved since I'd laid down earlier. I went to use the washroom and collapsed. I had no leg power whatsoever. I couldn't move my legs. I used my arms and got back into bed and called hubby then the ambulance.

Fast forward again (sorry) I had to slide down bed to floor and get to wheelchair which thankfully and I'll never know why, hubby had left in bedroom which he had gotten from garage before he left. Hadn't touched it in 4 1/2 years. Called ambulance and realized door was locked and after a (now that I look back somewhat comical), attempt I finally was able to get into wheelchair and make it to door to wait for paramedics who rushed me to hospital. (Paramedics got the keys and locked the house for me, they were so sweet and very understanding to MS surprisingly so!)

2 IVs and much blood (the vampires) later they couldn't figure out what it was. 2 days later said I had the flu which had made my MS go into hyperdrive. They said I had Influenza B. The flu. I was all like, what's A? They told me I had the better of the 2 for lack of better non medical terms. My hubby came back from UT a day later than he was supposed to because he had it to. The little bugger had it too but all he had to do was go to Walgreens for some Theraflu while I was in the hospital in isolation looking like the IV fairy had left me a gift in each arm. That's a story for a rainy day. The whole hospital story would make a good and funny book actually, hrmmmm.... LoL

Word got around and prayers came flooding in from calls from people in my church. Long story shortened some for your convenience, I was only there 4-5 days (don't remember and hubby isn't here to ask at the moment) I got feeling in my legs slow but steady it seemed. My neuro took me off my MS med (Gilenya) because I have leukopenia apparently (extremely low white blood cell level) and put me on the same diet they give chemo patients to keep them safe from bacteria. I went to a blood doctor Monday and they should have my results next week but with hubby's schedule off kilter it's going to be hard to get an appointment, just waiting to find out when I can go back)

Good news is I am back to where I was in December when the flare started. This forearm cane is great! I should by all means still be in the hospital, let's here it for prayers and good wishes!However, I am nervous not taking a DMD but however, I'm feeling great! Go figure! Feeling this good I kinda don't want to go back on one and fight this naturally. I don't know it's all so confusing all these symptoms then lack of then feeling good, better than I have in a long time. I'm frazzled but will figure something out. I don't go back to my neuro until sometime after seeing the blood doctor hemotologist or whatever (says I'm spelling it wrong so it might be the wrong word for blood doctor. I prefer vampire. They took 12 vials of blood in 2 places to get that much!)

Well, I'm back kinda, I hope you all have been well and that I see you around. Let's fight MS - together we can do anything! Open to any comments, especially about DMD and non DMD treatments. Or just a hello! Take care all - thanks for putting up with my long post~ y'all rock!

Best regards,

"Memphis"

Wow! What a nightmare you went through! So sorry to hear you landed in the hospital and specially awful that your husband was out of town. My husband wants me to get a medical alert button/system in case I fall and hurt myself when alone. Have you thought about getting one just in case? Best case scenario is you won't have to use it!

There's so much flu going around and dragging even healthy people down. Sounds like you acquired a pseudo flare on top of the flu. That is common when one's temp goes up - either internally or externally. I'm glad you're feeling better. Stay in touch and let us know the result of the blood work from the "vampires"

Please stay healthy
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm glad that you are feeling better and have regained the use of your legs, that must have been super scary. It's good that you can find humor in this situation and feel the power of prayer. I'm currently taking a break from MS meds, still using meds to manage symptoms, especially spasticity.

I'm taking vitamins recommended by my doctor, eating healthy and exercising more. I am feeling a lot better as well. I will pray that you continue to improve. Thumbs up for hubby for pulling out the wheel chair, sounds like he knows MS well. Give him some extra sugar for looking out.

Comment

Hello NintendoGurlie and welcome back. Boy you really went thur a scary time. I'm glad you are feeling better now, you are so right about the power of prayer.

Two of the worst flares I'm had were preceded by a cold. Now I always get a flu shot once a yr.

Hope you stay well.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

"Hello" NintendoGurlie,
          You certainly have a good reason to be 'away' for a bit so welcome back
          Other things can knock us for six and our ms can sometimes jump on the bandwagon too as a result.

I have gone for periods over the years were I didn't take any ms meds and didn't do badly.
          Once your illness began to abate your body would have been able to rest up so this may be contributing to your feeling of wellness though so don't overdo it and I hope you continue feeling good.

Comment

Working...
          X