Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocrelizumab vs Rituximab

Ocrelizumab vs Rituximab from Bart's

The way monoclonal antibodies are named tells you what it's about, so rituximab means that it's not completely humanized, whereas ocrelizumab is more humanized. Not completely, but it's almost completely humanized. That's very important for immunogenicity. So you find that when you use rituximab in people with MS, a significant proportion, it's about between 25% and 30%, will make antibodies against the drug, which reduces its effectiveness. It's also responsible for infusion reactions. With ocrelizumab, the rate of anti-drug antibodies is less than 1%, about 0.5%. So that's the main benefit.

The other benefit is the ocrelizumab is being designed to work slightly differently. It doesn't recognize exactly the same area of the CD20 molecule, but also is more potent in antibody-dependent cytotoxicity, a way that the immune system kills the B cell or depletes the B cell based on this potency. So it is quite different to rituximab.

So actually, the experiment with rituximab and ocrelizumab, and other B cell-depleting agents, have shown us that B cells are probably the pivotal cell in driving the inflammatory activity in MS.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/mastery-of-medicine/neurology-mastery-in-ms/63226

questions re choice of Rituximab vs Ocrelizumab

Hi Marco- Kaiser is encourging me to consider Rituximab instead of Ocrelizumab- I have PPMS, aged 62, no new lesions in past 5 years, I use cane and mobility scooter to get around. Kaiser cites safety record of Rituximab as being known with results for some PPMS clients that slow progression. They suggest a 2 year trial for me with check ins every 6 months to monitor progression or lack thereof. What do you think? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X