Self-medicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-medicating

I think this post could fit in several places but I'll start here and see where it ends up.

After a long wait which I patiently endured (NOT) I got my new prescription for adderall and feel so much better and less cloudy and am out the door soon to go exercise. However it could have easily ended up badly. Because I self-medicated.

It's so easy for those of us who live with chronic disorders to cross the line beyond healthy proactiveness. We are responsible for our health (just not solely); we know how drugs affect us on a 24/7 level; we have lots of time (maybe) to go online and do research; we may have a vast array of unused bottles or prescriptions; all this knowledge and access might make us believe we deserve an honorary phd in pharmaceuticals.

On a personal level I was so frustrated with my energy level and weightgain (160) I took it upon myself to double my prozac and add more coffee. Far from feeling better I became agitated and I started having racing thoughts. So I decided to take some seroquel which can serve as an antimanic agent. I also added in some latuda bc it gives me akathesia and I thought maybe the constant desire to move would at least give some form of energy/movement. Sure it will. Compulsive uncomfortable movement.

The sad irony is that if my doctor had seen me maybe two days before he may have suspected some hypomania at the least, and may have decided not to prescribe the adderall. I told him everything up front. He agreed with the calming effects of seroquel but rightly said the prozac and latuda were not helpful which I assured him I had already stopped. He's known me for years and knows I'm more sensible than not (and probably knows I might do something stupid again) so he wrote me prescriptions and added seroquel and adderall.

In hindsight it was not worth it. And I could have easily sabotaged my well-being. Thanks to an understanding doctor I am out of my funk, am looking at my future more hopefully and looking into clinical dietician as a field. I am full of hope and feel better and am sleeping better and feeling better during the day. I don't know how long this will last but I do know I could potentially be feeling much worse, even to a dangerous extent.

So I will continue adding to my knowledge and work on healthy eating, lifestyle, vitamins, etc. I will still offer my (unsolicited) thoughts on meds but ultimately I will leave the decisions to those who have the expertise and my interests at heart.

I reached out here and elsewhere and got support in spite of my decisions and just want to say THANKS! while I rode out this mini-rollercoaster.

I hope anyone who is in a similar situation may get something useful from this post. I hope you don't get to a point where you take things into your own hands. I really hope you don't feel like things couldn't get worse. It certainly wasn't news to me but I did it anyway and am just grateful I landed where I did.

addendum to "Self-medication" post

Idealy this post could be on the same thread mentioned in this title.

It's a bit unsettling even though I feel better. How can I make sure I don't do this again. I'm too old for lectures. There really is no certainty. I have to look at all decisions I make. If I know I'm moving I can plan so that I don't lapse on meds. I can tell the pharmacy to remove old prescriptions. I can throw out unused meds. But if I didn't have the seroquel, there's a chance I could have spiraled. The odds are low given the timeframe on my new 'regime'. But still. But I think I did indeed learn from this and the odds are I will indeed plan ahead next time.

Off to the park...

Comment

Thanks for this candid post, sardi, and hope that others reading will learn something as well.

I learned the hard way from my experience of going off Paxil cold turkey and then years later doing the same with Celexa. Bad idea!

I;m glad you are on a regime and I hope it will make life easier for you!

(BTW, I merged both of your posts together)
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Glad you got your adderall and are feeling more positive and energised. Hope it keeps up.

I think we've all at some point strayed back into the old medicine draw and tried to find a solution by ourselves for something thats bothering us at the time. With mixed results.

Some docs hand out meds a little to freely others can be to untrusting of a patients ability to manage their meds and withold when they may help. I hate changing docs because of this - you lose the established relationship and have to start again. Many of us on the ms journey have learned a thing or two along the way and it can be very illuminating to discover you know more about something than the medical professional you are talking to. But hey they are just human too. I'm glad your doc was able to help sort out your issues.
        All the best.

Comment

Thanks I hope it may be helpful or at least serve as food for thought. Also it helps to hear I'm not the only one bc I might have an overactive super-ego on certain subjects that might bring up past mistakes. lol. But I think I got it right this time. It's never too late to learn, thankfully!

Comment

Working...
          X