Blood test breakthrough can help determine phenotype and medication benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood test breakthrough can help determine phenotype and medication benefit

MAJOR MS BREAKTHROUGH for patients that medicate or will medicate in the future.
    A new blood test can identify types of MS and if treatments are working.

• the test can detect your phenotype (RRMS, SPMS, PPMS)
    • the test can also tell if your medication is working (our cheapest medication is $30k/year, but requires 13 IV infusion sessions per year. Our cheapest self-administered medications are over $60k/year).

• this test will literally save billions of dollars and years of frustration trying to determine if a medication is working or not
    • there is a downside and that is treatments will now be limited to your phenotype. Before doctors would leave you classified in the RRMS category to leave you on a medication that MIGHT benefit you. Now with a definitive test coming out this practice will be greatly curtailed

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...36?pfmredir=sm

Thanks for the heads up Marco. This is very interesting.

Maybe with drugs like Ocrevus becoming available for the treatment of spms and ppms the curtailing of our docs leaving us in rrms catergory so we can still receive some treatment may be a positive rather than a worrying consequence?

Comment

Fascinating. If it can tell type of MS and treatment success, will they be able to diagnose MS with this blood test? Or is it only meaningful once a diagnosis is made?
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Is this "coming soon" or available now?

Comment

MS Blood test

The article Marco referred to says the blood test is "coming soon." No date was mentioned. The research does sound promising.

Comment

This is another article on the same blood test.

It says a clinical blood test is "expected to be available to doctors and patients in just two years"

If the site asks you to subscribe, you can Google the article and it will get you a public (free) copy

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...93d0d792e7a8e2

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
              Maybe with drugs like Ocrevus becoming available for the treatment of spms and ppms the curtailing of our docs leaving us in rrms catergory so we can still receive some treatment may be a positive rather than a worrying consequence?

I completely agree. There is limited value in keeping you in the RRMS group so you can take an expensive medication that may not be benefitting you at all. Why would ANYONE want to be on a drug without benefit? I just hope we have viable alternatives to Ocrevus in the near future.

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              Fascinating. If it can tell type of MS and treatment success, will they be able to diagnose MS with this blood test? Or is it only meaningful once a diagnosis is made?

MS remains a differential diagnosis so I'm not sure this blood test will replace that entire process, but there's another test that might. The MSPrecise test could be available as soon as this year. Earlier trial information can be read here: https://neuronewsinternational.com/p...osis-reported/

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
              Is this "coming soon" or available now?

"Coming soon," but what "coming soon" means to an Aussie is probably different than what it means to a Texan. Try before 2020!

Comment

I am SO ready

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                Thanks for the heads up Marco. This is very interesting.

True, true. My doctor said nobody knew for sure if these RRMS meds were not helpful in slowing other forms of MS because there is no good way of monitoring/tracking without the whole relapsing-remitting variable. He worded it much more carefully, however. I have no doubt that our insurance companies are well aware of this and are counting the days until this kind of blood test is rolled out.

As for me, I never thought my familial MS was RRMS (me, mom, 3 cousins) but PPMS and was too afraid to admit it. I have not been on a DMT in three years and my MRIs remain stable. My MS never walked like RRMS, never talked like RRMS, so it probably was never RRMS. The Avonex was OK, but the Tecfidera had horrible side effects, but neither one seemed like they did anything (I know...how can you really tell? Therein lies the whole problem, so you take the stuff and cross your fingers if you are someone like me).

Personally, I do not fear such a test (although initially I would have when I desperately wanted to believe the "RRMS" diagnosis written on my chart). I would send gallons of my blood to these scientists/doctors if it could expedite the process. Maybe I am completely wrong about my self-diagnosis, but all I know is my neuro seems fine with my decision to dump my meds as long as my MRIs look good (or rather, the same level of bad) and I am no longer afraid to face the truth, be it PPMS or whatever the heck.
                Tawanda

Comment

This is so far from an exact science, imo. I'm sure advances will be made to eventually predict this with some reasonable accuracy but I'm doubtful it will happen quickly. The "genetic testing" they are touting now for mental health medications is not especially helpful in my opinion because it largely indicates how well someone metabolizes a specific medication which doesn't translate to efficacy.

Unfortunately lay people and even some providers think this is the latest/greatest and I have seen patients who were stable on a long term medication be changed based on the colored boxes their test revealed with disastrous results. My guess is this is similar and so although a small step in the direction not especially earth shattering or something I'd be willing to bet my ability to walk on.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                    This is so far from an exact science, imo. I'm sure advances will be made to eventually predict this with some reasonable accuracy but I'm doubtful it will happen quickly. The "genetic testing" they are touting now for mental health medications is not especially helpful in my opinion because it largely indicates how well someone metabolizes a specific medication which doesn't translate to efficacy.
                    Ahh Jules, the dreaded voice of reason!Balloon deflated! One must be skeptical of anything starting with "MS" and ending in "breakthrough". Zamboni Vein Therapy anyone?
                    Tawanda

Comment

Tawanda!!

But while I don't hope or believe this is an ' earth shattering breakthrough' , it is progress and it's always nice to see that occurring.

mightn't help me - but maybe one of my grandkids down the track a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                        Ahh Jules, the dreaded voice of reason!Balloon deflated! One must be skeptical of anything starting with "MS" and ending in "breakthrough".
                        Excellent point "MS" and "Breakthrough" used in the same sentence pretty much guarantees a bust.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                          There is limited value in keeping you in the RRMS group so you can take an expensive medication that may not be benefitting you at all. Why would ANYONE want to be on a drug without benefit?
                          Because so many people with progressive MS don't want to believe that the drug they're on has no benefit. They don't want to believe that their progressive case is hopeless and that absolutely nothing can be done. So they take the drugs purely out of hope. And their doctors don't want to let them believe their cases are hopeless, so they keep prescribing purely out of hope that the drug might be effective.

So in spite of a complete lack of statistical or clinical proof that the drugs are helping, hundreds of people with progressive MS keep taking them.

There are people who post here at MSWorld who have progressive MS and take drugs that have no proof that they're effective. And some keep taking the drugs in spite of obvious proof that they're not effective. But those folks keep on taking them anyway -- sometimes at great risk -- purely out of hope.

So there is a benefit, even though it isn't clinical or statistical and it is expensive and risky. The benefit is hope. And sometimes hope is all a person has.

Comment

I can see this test bringing a lot of despair. Congratulations, you have MS...and guess what...its the worse kind. Sorry no hope for you, please move to the back of the line. Oh geez...😢😢😢
                            Katie
                            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                            "My MS is a Journey for One."
                            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hey guys this method of testing has only just been discovered hasn't it?
                              I think i will be a while till it has any impact on the ms community. Ocrevus is one drug that is said to be the first drug to benefit not only rrms patients. And its scheduled for release soon. And there are lots of others looking promising.
                              Hope fully the progress in treatments will occur parallel with progress in testing so it won't be something to worry about maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X