MS and anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and anxiety

Hi, I'm back...... I was diagnosed then un-diagnosed-then re-diagnosed. I have MS. I'm trying to get a friend(s) who suffer from or maybe even understand this anxiety that can come with MS. Not sure I'm in the right place.
    Thanks,
    TJ

Originally posted by tjcann00 View Post
    Hi, I'm back...... I was diagnosed then un-diagnosed-then re-diagnosed. I have MS. I'm trying to get a friend(s) who suffer from or maybe even understand this anxiety that can come with MS. Not sure I'm in the right place.
    Thanks,
    TJ
    Yes; I really believe that MS and anxiety are inter-related. I don't know if my experiences are similar to the issue you're referring to or not.

I experience the anxiety/MS connection in two ways:
    1. Anxiety is stressful, and stress, for me, triggers MS flares. I've had MS for 15 years, and most of my MS flares can be traced back to stress. Sometimes, to "negative" stress that is connected either to illness or anxiety. But, also to "positive" stress, such as when I'm anticipating a happy event. I once had to cancel a vacation because I was hospitalized, due to an MS flare. Much more frequently, I've been IN a flare, while I'm on vacation. Or, right around Christmas time.
    2. Events, even "normal" life events, that didn't used to be an issue for me, are more stressful now. It seems that the normal stressors of life are no longer "normal". They feel more excessive.

I've discovered that I'm not very good at "managing" stress. Once the stress is there, it's difficult for me to know what to do with it and how to handle it. There certainly are stress-management techniques out there. And, they help. Somewhat.

But, I've found that it's more effective for me to work at "preventing" anxiety before it arises, rather than "managing" it after it's there.
    My main technique is that I've learned how to say "no". I can say no to others without feeling guilt. I wouldn't feel guilty for taking my MS meds, and saying "no" is just another strategy that manages my health, just like taking meds. So, there is no need to feel guilty.

What is more difficult is saying "no" to myself, when there is something that I want to do. I've found that even being too "busy" produces anxiety. It's especially difficult during holiday seasons, when there are lots of fun things I'd like to do. But, I just can't. I have to pick and choose and say no to some things. And, prior to a vacation, I just cut back on the regular things that I do, as a preventative measure.

Some things that work for me:
    1. Flying alone didn't used to be a problem. I feel anxious when I do it now. To combat that, I request wheelchair assistance. Initially, I just needed it to prevent anxiety; now I also need it because I no longer have the physical stamina to walk through airports.
    2. Driving out of town. I hardly do this at all anymore. If I need to, there are a couple of nearby towns that I'd consider driving to. But, more and more, I don't even like to do that. I don't know why. There is no reasonable reason why it's difficult for me. It just is.
    3. I'm on SSDI (disability income). I'd still be able to be employed if I kept my income under a certain amount. But, work just stresses me. I still volunteer in the community, and that doesn't seem to create much anxiety. But, the idea of employment is stressful, so, in recent years, I've chosen not to pursue it. I we come to a point where the extra income would become more important, I'd need to re-think that.

Your anxiety issues are likely different than mine are. But, I encourage you to think about them, name them, and make a plan for either managing them, or, better yet, preventing them if possible.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi TJ - you have certainly come to the right place here! Many of us have struggled with anxiety. The uncertainty and unpredictability of MS can be alarming - then to have been dx, undx and dx again is certainly really distressing.

For severe anxiety, certain medications can be helpful and something you & your Dr should talk about. Getting support through counseling is beneficial and something I utilized for a few years when I was first diagnosed. Mine was talk therapy along with medication which helped me a lot.

Talking with others with MS is good too. Is there a support group near you? http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Chapters

Just know you don't have to go it alone. Many of us get it!
      Take care of yourself and come back often to talk with us.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

You have no idea how much help you've been to me. My anxiety got so bad right before Christmas I couldn't work and ended up hospitalized. As I got some of the anxiety under control I felt ridiculous that I let it get me like that. It's seems to be getting worse all the time. I don't want to lose my job but even going there at all right now is enough to throw me into a anxiety attack. I love that I have someone (other than Dr.s who don't have it) to talk to about this now. Thank you.

Comment

I've observed that the two points I made about stress and MS seeming to be inter-related also seem, often, to apply to other chronic illnesses, as well.

For example, I have a friend who has severe Type I diabetes. Her anxiety issues are worse than mine are.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by tjcann00 View Post
            Thanks,
            TJ
            Yes you're in the right place,
            " diagnosed then un-diagnosed-then re-diagnosed." just re-read you're line, MS is russian roulette with your health & mind, & to not even be sure you have it can only add to the stress & the doubts we all have about, what is a symptom, the negative outside comments of being a fraud etc
            One thing I've seen forsure in my ten year MS journey is stress is a symptom & a symptom which breeds more symptoms, as it's been said earlier in this thread find your stress triggers & try to manage them.
            Don't go it alone (like I did) places like this have given me more benefits in a week than years of battling it in my own head.

Comment

I am anxious all the time. I pick at the skin along the sides of my fingernails and fidget/tear paper into smaller pieces. Any symptom gets made twenty times worse as I obsess over whether it's a flare and I'm going to go blind or lame or pee all over the place. I'm anxious about the future, about people finding out, and if I can maintain an even emotional keel. I have a lot of anxiety when I eat because I worry that I'll aspirate my food or choke to death. I've stopped eating alone, even if I'm really hungry and have lost a lot of weight. I also worry about dying of PML or getting liver failure. I worry about having an attack while I'm walking down the street and someone raping me or taking my wallet and leaving me to die behind some dumpsters. I tutor people on line and that helps me to focus on something else but I used to enjoy just having down time or window watching.

I don't want to take any meds for it because I think that they will make intestinal movement even more sluggish. My housemate tried to help to find something so he said we should try the canniboid oils that don't make you high. We found a place that sold them where you could squirt a sample into your mouth. It definitely didn't relieve the sx, in fact it felt like someone was drilling into my trocanter and I didn't notice that it helped with anxiety. But it was nice someone took time to try and help me and he joked that now he gets targeted advertisements for all of our wonderful, expensive medication when he uses the Internet.

Comment

Meditatiion helps

I have been dx for over 4 years now and still have serious anxiety. I worry about flares, the medicine I take for MS caused high blood pressure and I have to take meds for that. I lost 50 pounds and have almost constant UTI's. Finally, I tried a meditation app on my phone because my therapist suggested it. It is called Headspace and there is another one called Calm.

I still have anxiety but it much more manageable now. I only have to meditate for 10 minutes each morning and I feel much better than I did. When I start to stress over something or when I can't sleep I concentrate on my breathing like I have been practicing and it really helps me.

This is the right place for you. We all have different experiences but still can relate and offer our own comments to help.

Comment

Alan just posted a link to a really good video that's available here in the MSWorld Talk section. It's worth a listen. It validates what we have all noticed about how MS and stress are related to each other. And, it gives some good strategies to manage stress.

Thanks, Alan!

Originally posted by alanpgh View Post
                  The MSWorld Talks videos are getting very positive feedback, especially the "Talk" on the
                  "Clinical Benefits of Increased Stress Coping Abilities in MS."

A link to this "Managing Stress in MS" video follows: https://goo.gl/jPUuOv
                  (Links to the other videos are also included on the page above.)

Dr. Rabin has also provided his Coping with Stress Manual and a Guided Imagery Audio Track.

Click on the links above to download the manual and play or download the accompanying audio.

Hope you find this "Talk" helpful.

Please feel free to comment and to suggest other topics you'd like to see in future "MSWorld Talks."

👍

Alan

Living with MS since 1995

~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

DYIN MYELIN

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
                    I am anxious all the time. I pick at the skin along the sides of my fingernails and fidget/tear paper into smaller pieces. Any symptom gets made twenty times worse as I obsess over whether it's a flare and I'm going to go blind or lame or pee all over the place. I'm anxious about the future, about people finding out, and if I can maintain an even emotional keel. I have a lot of anxiety when I eat because I worry that I'll aspirate my food or choke to death. I've stopped eating alone, even if I'm really hungry and have lost a lot of weight. I also worry about dying of PML or getting liver failure. I worry about having an attack while I'm walking down the street and someone raping me or taking my wallet and leaving me to die behind some dumpsters. I tutor people on line and that helps me to focus on something else but I used to enjoy just having down time or window watching.

I don't want to take any meds for it because I think that they will make intestinal movement even more sluggish. My housemate tried to help to find something so he said we should try the canniboid oils that don't make you high. We found a place that sold them where you could squirt a sample into your mouth. It definitely didn't relieve the sx, in fact it felt like someone was drilling into my trocanter and I didn't notice that it helped with anxiety. But it was nice someone took time to try and help me and he joked that now he gets targeted advertisements for all of our wonderful, expensive medication when he uses the Internet.
                    HEY Dyin, I'm sorry to see your struggles still. It's been a long time over two years since I have been on here. I don't know if remember me. Anyway I hope you are doing OK. Take Care,
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz-TX View Post
                      HEY Dyin, I'm sorry to see your struggles still. It's been a long time over two years since I have been on here. I don't know if remember me. Anyway I hope you are doing OK. Take Care,
                      Jason
                      Hi Jason! Of course I remember you! Did your disease quiet down a bit? Are you able to see your children? I think about you a lot. -L

Comment

I can chat

I am in chat and would love some input on an issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X