No announcement yet.

I failed my Baclofen Pump Test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finally getting acclimated. The surgery was straight-forward. At the re-hab hospital the doctors thought I might have a skin infection. Days of IV antibiotics really hit me hard. In the end, the doctors determined I had a skin reaction to something on the operating table.

My leg muscles are weak. I'm starting more out-patient PT/OT. Boy, this has been an experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
      I'm finally getting acclimated. The surgery was straight-forward. At the re-hab hospital the doctors thought I might have a skin infection. Days of IV antibiotics really hit me hard. In the end, the doctors determined I had a skin reaction to something on the operating table.

My leg muscles are weak. I'm starting more out-patient PT/OT. Boy, this has been an experience!
      Hey Brad,

Glad to hear you're getting used to things. I had one of those skin infections and was on Vancomycin for 6 weeks, but only the first week at the hospital. Glad it turned out to be a reaction. I'll allergic to that tegaderm dressing and my skin does look infected when I have the reaction.

Remember about leg weakness. It's probably the fact that you're just going to get back to your pre-surgery condition, but now you have a pump, realize the pump can cause leg weakness, and
      it might need tweaking downward. Fine balance to make for the first few weeks you use it. I was
      back and forth quite a few times, getting it just right. All the physiatrist has to judge how you're spasticity is doing is to find out how your spasticity related areas are feeling. Sure there are a few
      tests they can do outwardly to assess spasticity, but in the end, it's how your legs feel. If your
      legs don't feel stronger after a while, talk to the physiatrist and see what happens if you tweak your mcgs down a bit

Comment

I'd like to write more about my experience. The process has been a lot different than I originally imagined. My pain has been greatly reduced. But the baclofen pump has revealed how really weak my legs were. I can only get around with a walker. My range is pretty limited. I'm doing exercises/PT to get my strength back. I hope to be able to walk unaided again. Things are unsettled for me right now. I'm going to have to see how this recovery develops before I can fully evaluate my pump decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
          I'd like to write more about my experience. The process has been a lot different than I originally imagined. My pain has been greatly reduced. But the baclofen pump has revealed how really weak my legs were. I can only get around with a walker. My range is pretty limited. I'm doing exercises/PT to get my strength back. I hope to be able to walk unaided again. Things are unsettled for me right now. I'm going to have to see how this recovery develops before I can fully evaluate my pump decision.
          Just now reading this thread and wondering how you are feeling currently, Brad? I have significant spasiticty in my legs and at times, I develop a horrific gait. I'm very conservative when it comes to taking medications but I like to explore all of my options for the "just in cases". Hope you are feeling much better and glad you had the surgery by now!
          MS - diagnosed 2/05/2013

Comment

I had known about the pump for years and told myself: not for me. But then the spasticity and pain grew worse and an operation and recovery began to seem preferable. The surgery was uneventful. Recovery was 6-8 weeks. The pump works -- my spasticity is under control and the pain is so much reduced. It was worth it for that. Rehabilitation has taken far longer than I ever imagined. I can now walk a hundred yards or so with a cane. I can stand for 10-15 minutes.

Comment

That is great to hear Brad. I wish you future success with the baclofen pump.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Walking

Hi Brad,
                Glad to see you're on your feet again. I was wondering based on your post, you said "I hope to be able to walk unaided again."

Were you able to right before pump placement and the pump took it away by revealing weakness, or do you just mean retrospectively as in days past?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Comment

Sazed:

The spasticity developed over 10 years before it became intolerable. I could walk unaided up to a year before I had the pump. In my early MS days, my walking was o.k. Maybe a limp. The spasticity developed over the years. First it was just an annoyance. In the last year (pre-pump) I progressed from a cane to a walker. At that point, I yelled: Give me the pump! It surely has helped. My underlying muscles were so week. After nearly five months, I now can get around with a cane. I have little endurance, though. I'm working toward -- and praying for-- eventual unaided walking again.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you Brad. I appreciate the response. Best of luck to you on your journey forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X