I failed my Baclofen Pump Test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I failed my Baclofen Pump Test.

The doctor shot 50 mcg right into my spine and it did absolutely nothing! This was very disappointing since leg spasticity is quickly rendering me immobile. Oral baclofen has always had a mild effect on me (except for side effects). The doctor says he'll next try a 75 mcg dose. I'm concerned I may be one of those people who do not respond to ITB. Anyone else require more than one test dose of ITB?

Hi Brad:

Do you think it might be more likely that the baclofen pump test failed you? You didn't do anything wrong.

Comment

Hi Brad,

I'm sorry you had no luck with the 50 mcg dose. (I did respond to the 50 mcg dose, so can't answer to needing a second screening.) I hope the 75 mcg bolus dose will work for you. An extra 25 mcg may not sound like much of an increase, but it can make a big difference because of the method of delivery. A third screening dose of 100 mcg is also possible.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Brad,

That had to be a big disappointment.

I did respond to the 50 mcg bolus.

How much oral baclofen do you take?

I was nearly immobile when I opted for the pump. It helped a lot, but through the years I've had to have the dosage increased and I'm at 250 mcg. Here's hoping the larger dose does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
          The doctor shot 50 mcg right into my spine and it did absolutely nothing! This was very disappointing since leg spasticity is quickly rendering me immobile. Oral baclofen has always had a mild effect on me (except for side effects). The doctor says he'll next try a 75 mcg dose. I'm concerned I may be one of those people who do not respond to ITB. Anyone else require more than one test dose of ITB?
          Do it again at a higher dose. As the doctor to nail you with the highest amount currently possible and see what happens. The 50 mcg barely, and I mean barely, did much for me. I'm on a 525 mcg daily maintenance dose so you can imagine why 50 mcg just wasn't enough. I know people that are on 20 mcg ...

Comment

Oral baclofen never helped me much either, but the pump has. If your doctor agrees, seems the higher bolus test would be worth a try.

Comment

This has been very difficult for me. My leg spasticity problem is getting rapidly worse. 2016 started with a hobble, progressed to a cane, and ended with a walker. My neurologist recommended a test for ITB in April. For various reasons (mostly doctor related) I didn't have the test until late December. I was so hoping for relief! Now, I'm waiting for insurance approval for a second test and then a (4-6 week) wait to get onto the doctor's schedule. I'm trying to remain optimistic. But I've gone from April 2016 (this ITB thing sounds drastic and scary) to January 2017 (give me the dang pump!).

Comment

Hi Brad:

Will the doctor's office let you (can you convince them to) make an appointment now for, say, 6 weeks from now so you'll already have an appointment and won't have to wait quite as long after the insurance approval comes in?

Comment

I'm going in again next Tuesday. Fingers crossed. Trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Comment

Good to hear you can get in sooner. Best of luck!
                    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Success

100 mcg early this morning. I thought that 100 mcg would turn me into a "wet noodle." It seemed to loosen me up a bit. The doctor said that the test was a "success" since I had responded and that the amount can be adjusted (increased) once a pump is placed. It wasn't until the baclofen wore off a few hours ago that I was truly aware that the test had been a success. STIFF AGAIN!

Comment

Yay! You must be so relieved it was a success (and happy your doc went with the 100mcg dose).

It does take time afterward to adjust the dose, but so worth it. Please keep us updated with your surgery, and feel free to ask any questions you have. Good luck!
                        Kimba

Comment

100 mcg early this morning. I thought that 100 mcg would turn me into a "wet noodle." It seemed to loosen me up a bit. The doctor said that the test was a "success" since I had responded and that the amount can be adjusted (increased) once a pump is placed. It wasn't until the baclofen wore off a few hours ago that I was truly aware that the test had been a success. STIFF AGAIN!
                          I'm so glad that you were able to achieve results with the Baclofen bolus at 100 mcg.I've said it time and again, best decision I've made in my MS journey. My neuro says they're findingthat MSers with the pump seem to stay mobile longer. However, there are those that are notmobile, but have to deal with spasticity and contractors, and the pump can help in those situations too.For me, the pain relief was significant, and the freedom to walk and not shuffle was a great blessing.Now when I start to notice to feel increased stiffness, and pain in my legs, I head to the physiatristto have the pump upped. I just did that last week, and the relief that it brings is nothing shortof amazing. Good luck with your surgery. There are a couple of us on the board that will be havingour pumps replaced this year as we're nearing the end of the battery life of the pump. Notas intense a surgery as the original, because they don't have to replace the catheter, atleast that's what we're hoping Let us know when you've had your pump implanted. And any questions you have, thereare quite a few pump users on the site, so feel free to ask.

Comment

Pump In

Pump surgery April 10th. Just back from 10 days in rehab hospital. I need to get my thoughts together...

Comment

Pump surgery April 10th. Just back from 10 days in rehab hospital. I need to get my thoughts together...
                              Let us know how you're doing when you get acclimated. Just a thought, a lot of us needed quite a few visits to finally settle on the right mcg dosage was right for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X