Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise programs/videos for all ranges of disability - Member Topic for January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise programs/videos for all ranges of disability - Member Topic for January

Your Member Topic for January is here!
    You made suggestions and we listened!

Thanks to all who participated in December's Member Topic of the Month!

A member asked "Where to find good exercise programs/videos that cover all ranges of disability?" Now that it's the beginning of the new year, why not make this a new year's resolution to start an exercise program adapted to your ability?

Please join us in this important conversation on ways you found to adapt an exercise program to fit your needs. Your thoughts and concerns on this topic are always welcomed.

Thank you all for your participation and stay tuned for more of your suggestions in the months to come! We appreciate all your thoughtful ideas and hope to hear more from you! Please add more suggestions here: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...the-Month-quot

A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Warm pool

Look around your town and see if your local hospital or PT facility has any pool classes. I'm lucky to live in a place where our smaller hospital offers a Health and Fitness Academy that lets you have access to their heated pool for a noon day class, along with their fitness equipment for around $20 a month. It has been a blessing in my life. You don't have to work hard, just consistently.
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I found swimming to be such good therapy, my husband and I went to the expense of putting in a therapy pool. It is 56" deep, has an underwater treadmill and exercise step. I'm now able to walk 20' rather than drive 110 miles round trip. It has truly been a Godsend since my strength and endurance is vastly improved. I feel my MS has at least slowed if not halted. For so many with MS, gravity becomes an enemy, and swimming takes gravity out of the equation. I highly recommend it!

Comment

Another good therapy is doing yoga exercises. I have been taking yoga classes for many years now and within the last 7 years have taken a class that is more of a gentle approach and designed for adapting to your ability. My teacher has a problems too (RA), so many of our exercises use blocks, blankets, chairs, etc.

There are so many yoga videos online - just google "yoga for MS patients" or "chair yoga for MS patients". Introduce yourself to either level depending on your ability. You might find a gentle yoga class in your community like the Y, Senior Center or check with your local MS chapter. Our town has 2 different classes for MS and Parkinson's patients.

Yoga has helped with my balance, pain issues, calming stress, and general feeling of overall wellness. I also highly recommend this!!

Comment

when I was searching for a yoga DVD I called the NMSS and they pointed me in the right direction. I do not know what the name of the DVD was, but it was very adaptable to different abilities.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
            when I was searching for a yoga DVD I called the NMSS and they pointed me in the right direction. I do not know what the name of the DVD was, but it was very adaptable to different abilities.
            At one point, I registered at MS Active Source http://www.msactivesource.com/, you can sign up to get one free gift. Two of the possibilities are exercise DVDs, including either Fitness with Katrina DVD or MyMSYoga DVD.

I believe that MS Active Source is sponsored by Biogen, the company that makes and sells Avonex. This link might be another place you might be able to sign up for the DVD. It's been several years ago since I received the free DVD. I hope it's still available. I'm not an Avonex user or a Biogen customer, but they didn't ask about that.

https://www.abovems.com/en_us/home/abovems/program/sign-up.html?cid=ppc-ggl-branded_sitelinks-na-7004-branded_sitelinks
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I would love to be able to swim again but my left leg just doesn't work, it sinks start to the bottom.

I ride a stationery bike that works my legs and arms, I ride it for 30mins at least 3 times a wk sometimes 4. I can barely get to a chair when I get off but it makes me feel good physically and mentally after I rest up.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

We used to have a weekly exercise thread in The Wellness Room. We each just posted what exercise we did each week. It could be anything from walking around the block to doing a 5 mile walk or Wii Fit or going to the gym or doing yoga or whatever. We set our own goals and decided how to monitor and report them.

I found it useful to motivate me to do more than I might have done otherwise because I felt like I was holding myself somewhat accountable.

At one point, our group was fairly active. Here's a link to one of them six years ago.
                http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ROUP-5-27-2010
                We discontinued it because it seemed like, other than a few of us moderators, the participation of others dwindled.

I'm wondering if there's any interest in participating in an exercise thread again.

It was similar to our weekly Weight Loss Checkin thread.
                Here's a link to this week's weight loss thread. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...32#post1498232
                Last edited by Mamabug; 01-05-2017, 05:43 PM.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug, I would be interested. I think it would motivate me.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Stretches

I was looking for some exercises to help with the weakness it my right arm. It would be nice to be able to straighten it and reach up above my head again. I came across these when searching the internet. They are from the MS Society of Canada https://mssociety.ca/en/pdf/EverybodyStretch.pdf I have found them to be helpful. I hope others will as well.

Comment

Stretches

I should have said that the stretches are for all parts of the body not just the arms.

Comment

Originally posted by dmessin View Post
                        I was looking for some exercises to help with the weakness it my right arm. It would be nice to be able to straighten it and reach up above my head again. I came across these when searching the internet. They are from the MS Society of Canada https://mssociety.ca/en/pdf/EverybodyStretch.pdf I have found them to be helpful. I hope others will as well.
                        Wow,this is great-it's very comprehensive and complete for the whole body! I bookmarked it as a template and reminder for getting into an exercise routine, beyond my yoga.

Thanks so much!

Comment

Link to Exercise Check-In Thread for 01/12/17

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...=1#post1498363

I won't post the link here every week. In the future, you can find it as a Stickie in the Wellness Room.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                          X