Foot in Mouth Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot in Mouth Disease

I think of myself as a kind person, but since MS entered my life I don't seem to have a filter. And the people I upset the most with my anger, frustration, and words are my family. I've called my mother and sister names I would never ever say to them. Especially when I'm having a flare, on heavy pain medicine or steroids. Is it MS? Does anyone else deal with this? I feel remorseful and no matter what I say when I apologize to my sister, she has a hard time forgiving me. I think she's getting tired of hearing the excuse, "It's my MS." Any articles on this kind of cognitive behaviour would be helpful. Thank you friends.

Originally posted by Jane30 View Post
    I think of myself as a kind person, but since MS entered my life I don't seem to have a filter. And the people I upset the most with my anger, frustration, and words are my family. I've called my mother and sister names I would never ever say to them. Especially when I'm having a flare, on heavy pain medicine or steroids. Is it MS? Does anyone else deal with this? I feel remorseful and no matter what I say when I apologize to my sister, she has a hard time forgiving me. I think she's getting tired of hearing the excuse, "It's my MS." Any articles on this kind of cognitive behaviour would be helpful. Thank you friends.
    Hi Jane

Yes, it very well could be MS related.

Info from National MS Society: (scroll down to Moodiness and Irritability)

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...tional-Changes

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Jane,

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Originally posted by Jane30 View Post
      Especially when I'm having a flare, on heavy pain medicine or steroids. Is it MS?
      Besides the flare, you can also blame the pain medication and steroids. (Just Google side effects of these medications)

Here's another article for you: http://www.healthline.com/health/mul...is-mood-swings

Talk with your doctors. They can help. Good luck.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I completely understand what you are going through. I remember the day when my moods started shifting. It was so distressing because I had always been a very perky person.

There is a lot to discuss on this topic. I will say that the single most thing that helped me was to realize that no matter what the cause is, it's not OK for me to treat others that way even if it feels like I cannot help it. I also should never expect my loved ones to be OK with it.

Going to a doctor to have my hormone levels checked, etc was the first step.

Then, therapy was tremendously helpful in unpacking the things that happened in my childhood that compounded the issue. Medication helped for a time until I didn't need it anymore. Doing Cognitive Behavioral therapy workbooks really helped. Reading books on how to manage conflict, relationship dynamics, etc. . . . Recognizing when I'm becoming frustrated, feelings of anger, etc and learning what tools I could use to remove myself from the situation until I could be calm and appropriate . . . practicing self care, etc . . . all of those things helped.

Until I worked through my own stuff and learned how to get better control over how I responded to others, I couldn't see when it was something they were doing and also respond appropriately.

I hope any of this is making sense. What I'm trying to say is, what you can do now is start the process/journey of working on yourself to see if the majority of it is not MS related. In the end, it might make a huge difference in your ability to manage what you discover that is MS related.

Big hugs.

Comment

Has your neuro ever reviewed the MRIs of your brain in detail? If you have any frontal lobe, this is sometimes associated with anger, impulsiveness, irrationality, etc..
          There are lots of articles on this.

It may have nothing to do with the issue. But just another possibility.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X