Probiotics as a therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probiotics as a therapy?

Just read that there is a link to gut health with Parkinson's Disease; the article also mentions MS.

I will attach the link to the article.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/01/parki...-bacteria.html

Would appreciate any insight the rest of you may have. I think that the Wahls Diet and others are focusing on this also.

Probiotics as "therapy" is an interesting way to word it. I wouldn't use probiotics as an alternative to a DMD (disease modifying drug). But, in combination with that, there are many healthy choices we can make. Focusing on gut health is one of those, and even gut health can involve much more than just probiotics.

I tend to believe that gut health is ultimately important for many aspects of our overall health and our health, in general. It would surprise me if it didn't, in some way, relate to MS.

There are dietary choices that we can make to encourage a healthy gut.
    • Remove food toxins from your diet
    • Eat plenty of fermentable fibers (starches like sweet potato, yam, yucca, etc.)
    • Eat fermented foods like kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, kim chi, etc., and/or take a high-quality, multi-species probiotic.

And, there are lifestyle choices we can make to avoid unhealthy gut flora:
    • Antibiotics and other medications like birth control and NSAIDs
    • Diets high in refined carbohydrates, sugar and processed foods
    • Diets low in fermentable fibers
    • Dietary toxins like wheat and industrial seed oils that cause leaky gut
    • Chronic stress
    • Chronic infections

​I do some of these, pretty intentionally, including taking a daily probiotic, avoiding antibiotics when possible, preventing and managing stress as much as I can, and trying to eat a mostly healthy diet. But, I have to admit, I could do more. I don't always make the best choices.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks beingmindful for the infor.

Mamabug where do you buy your probiotics and would you know a good digestive enzyme supplement?
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
        Thanks beingmindful for the infor.

Mamabug where do you buy your probiotics and would you know a good digestive enzyme supplement?
        • For a probiotic, I use Nature's Sunshine Elevated Eleven.
        • For a digestive enzyme, I use Nature's Sunshine Food Enzymes.

I use Nature's Sunshine products for most of my supplements. They often cost a little more than some other brands, but I really trust their products and research and the sources that they make them from. They are less expensive if you become a member and can get member prices. But, you have to sign up through a dealer to do that. You might have some in your local area.
        If you want additional info about this, you can email me. My email address is in my profile, as per our guidelines.

I have a rep that I go through locally, that I know personally. I trust her and she has also become a personal friend. But, Nature's Sunshine is a MLM (multi level marketing) company. I have mixed feelings about these (often negative), but they tend to have a good reputation, in spite of this.

Or, sometimes, you can get Nature's Sunshine products on amazon for a price that's comparable to a member price. But then you're going through a third party and Nature's Sunshine can't guarantee anything. It's better to get them through a reliable representative or sign up to be a member and order from the company. The third option is just to order directly from the company without being a member. Then you don't need to go through a rep, but it costs more.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks Mamabug.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

I'm in a gut study; Harvard doc recommends probiotic

I've been giving blood as part of an MS study. Half of the MSers are low in a certain lipid that is actually gut bacteria excrement! Doc has supplemented MS mice w the lipid and cured them. He will be giving us either the lipid or the bacteria in the summer of 18 if his next round of grants go through ok.

Also, there's this comment from a doc at MS symposium. I haven't tried this and it unfortunately is very expensive. Btw, this site is exc for staying current on MS news:

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...opic-ms-forum/

Comment

Working...
            X