Hospital bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospital bed

Anyone using a hospital bed at home that can provide feedback/advise on what you like or don't like?

Thanks!

I recently received insurance approval and the bed was delivered and set-up about 2 months ago.

Mine is a semi-electric hospital bed and has a motor and a power hand control to individually adjust the head and foot of the bed. Bed height is set with a hand-crank but once set for me does not change.

I have enough strength to stand up from my wheelchair using my walker and then pivot to sit on the bed, and then get assistance to swing my legs onto the bed. Then to get-up I get assistance to a sitting position then stand and pivot to my wheelchair. At this point I do not need a trapeze but might in the future with my PPMS.

So far so good and this meets my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
      Anyone using a hospital bed at home that can provide feedback/advise on what you like or don't like?

Thanks!
      Hi BG,

I haven't been on the board much, so I just saw this.

I have no experience on a hospital bed for myself, but my mom was bed bound for a couple years at her home, so I can pass on what we learned.

It wasn't so much about the bed frame and mechanics that made for a comfortable bed experience,
      it was the mattress. At first we had the regular hospital bed mattress, and that was not good, but when we moved to a mattress that was higher end and proven to cut down on the possibility of bed sores, and that made the difference (I can't remember all the details, it might have been an air mattress but it had a dimpled look to the mattress itself.) My mom was 100% bed bound for 18 months, and never had a pressure sore with the higher end mattress.

Just recently I looked into one of the adjustable beds made by different companies like the Sleep Number bed, and a few others. The ones I watched online adjusted the head of the bed, and that was great, but the flexed knee positions didn't look like it would do the trick.

I use a wedge system for my bed, and I spend a lot of time in the bed because that's where I work from. At night we arrange the configuration for sleeping and during the day, for sitting more upright with knee support, it's aligned for working on my laptop.

Mine was purchased at the Relax the Back website. But it takes "doing" to adjust the whole thing, and I'm not sure I could do it from a wheelchair, so the fully adjustable one seems more practical.

Since you deal with contractures, I imagine the knee/leg portion would be very important for you
      and from the ones I was shopping, that seemed to be the weakest area of the adjustable bed, not sure about the hospital bed.

One thing you can do is if you're thinking of a certain bed...search it on youtube. It's amazing how youtube has videos reviewing every product imaginable, so I think they'd probably have review videos from folks who had bought or used the model you're thinking of.

Hope this doesn't mean you're having a setback. BTW, I know we discussed it awhile ago, but I can't remember. When are they (or have they already) replaced your pump?

Comment

Hi BG

I'm bed bound since 9/15. The bed I bought was yrs before that. I don't remember the name or the model of the bed, but then I was hoping to never to be bed bound, I used to sleep in my lift chair, and just use the bed on occasions.

My bed is not a hospital bed I wish it was. My bed is a double bed, and I have a button where I can lift the head and feet up and down. Everything is electric. My husband has to lift me in and out, same as my lift chair, I lost the use of my legs about 5 yrs ago.

I also have an air mattress under me. This is how big the bed is my husband couldn't find the right size to fit the bed so their is a smaller one on the bed.

Some day I hope to get a hospital bed.

I don't know if this helped and I hope you don't need a hospital bed.

Shoo
        Shoo

Comment

Hi RDMC,

I have been considering a hospital or adjustable bed for many years, figuring it would be good to be able to raise my head and legs to get up easier and for leg circulation.

Unfortunately I slipped out of my chair last month, and because my legs basically collapse whatever way land, it ended up I broke my femur.

I had a choice (due to my condition of not being ambulatory), of not doing anything and let it heal, a full leg cast for 3 months or surgery where no cast would be needed after the surgery. Although I always want to avoid surgery, I didn't want to lose the upper body ability I have and knew a cast would limit me significantly. So I did the surgery.

So now after being in the hospital bed, it got me researching more on beds.
          I ended up getting a split king, 2 twin xl's, with a Legget and Platt Prodigy adjustable base, and 2 Dynasty memory foam mattresses. Heard the adjustable beds are more comfortable and the configuration we got let's my husband adjust his side without affecting mine.

I'm a.so looking for a new bed rail, the bed cane I used will not work for the new adjustable since it has a smaller non moveable area to be at. And I'm going to but a free standing trapeze to use and hopefully build upper body strength.

I'm interested on your wedge system. I think 'bolster' 'wedge' are the same? And think that could help me stretch/position my contracted legs with the adjustable bed setting as well. Do you have any pictures or links of the ones you use?

Funny you ask about the pump replacement, I just had my refill last week and learned I'm due in 10 months. The date on my printout says 10 months, I thought you had a 3 month grace period, but my doctor didn't think so. How about you! When are you planning to replace?

Hi Shoo,
          Thanks for the info.
          I have heard your setup may in fact be more comfortable then a hospital bed.
          Do you think a hospital bed has more advantages then your electric?

Comment

I use a hospital bed, it is not a very comfortable one if you do not buy a better mattress. I do have an aair mattress over top of the mattress to cut down on pressure sores. I also suffer from fairly sensitive feet, sso I prop my in the air with a couple pillows. The head//back rise up and I use my laptop in bed on a tray. If you do this you may need to put something behind your back too alleviate discomfort.
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi again rdmc,

Since my reply above, I did take a look at relax the back site. I am looking for a bolster for my legs, to raise for circulation and work with my contractures.

For your legs, do you use the one that has a slant?
              Do your feet dangle off? My concern if they sit on the bolster it may put pressure on the heels?
              Do both your legs fit on ok?

If the slant sits close to your bottom (length), I may prefer no slant, but haven't found one without the slant - yet.

I've been looking on Amazon, reading reviews, so many options.

Hunter,
              The leg bolster/wedge might be a good option for your sensitive feet too.

Comment

Hi again rdmc,

Since my reply above, I did take a look at relax the back site. I am looking for a bolster for my legs, to raise for circulation and work with my contractures.

For your legs, do you use the one that has a slant?
                Do your feet dangle off? My concern if they sit on the bolster it may put pressure on the heels?
                Do both your legs fit on ok?

If the slant sits close to your bottom (length), I may prefer no slant, but haven't found one without the slant - yet.

I've been looking on Amazon, reading reviews, so many options.

Hunter,
                The leg bolster/wedge might be a good option for your sensitive feet too.
                Wow...broken femur, that is no fun (if you're interested in watching a funny video, which
                actually has a bit in it about broken femurs...on youtube search Brian Regan Emergency Room...you'll laugh.)

On the Relax the Back store website they have a video of the wedge system I use. It's called the Purefit Adjustable Wedge System. Very practical in that I can use it at night while sleeping, and then in the daytime I reconfigure the back to a sitting position,and adjust the leg wedge differently.
                I just ordered a new leg wedge. It seems to be the leg wedge in the system that takes the most
                abuse, I imagine from my legs pressing down on it most of the day. I noticed this time it gave me
                a choice in the height of the wedge. BTW, it's not the one your legs hang off of. It's a smoother
                contour, but if I don't want my heels to touch the bed, I can move it directly under my
                knees, or calves, and my heels/feet barely touch the bed. At night I move the leg bolster closer to my trunk and it feels more comfortable when lying down.

As far as pump surgery, the physiatrist said at my next "fill up" we'll have to discuss timing of the surgery and she'll be sending me to the neurosurgeon for a consult. So my appointment for the refill is the end of February. When my pump did it's "walkabout" a couple years ago and had to be moved back into place, that was only the abdominal incision, and it wasn't too bad as far as healing. I have that scoliosis curve now that starts near the same vertebra the catheter is inserted, and I wear that big brace most days, so I'll have to work out something with the surgeon so he implants it in a place that will be conducive to wearing the back brace.

I use a bedrail that is secured by the part that fits between the bed and the box springs. It's
                rather small, as rails go, but is exactly the right height and we position it for just the right place that it aids wonderfully with getting out of the bed. I've seen those pole systems and think they
                look very helpful, but I can manage with the one I have, and it has less of a "footprint" on the room decor

Let me know what you decide to do about the bed or wedge system.

Comment

Hi Rdmc,
                  I did watch the Brian Regan YouTube, so funny! Thanks for sharing that!

I ended up getting a few things to try and make things easier.

Got a leg wedge on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's working well, like the height to elevate my legs and the cotton cover is good. The only issue is I have a hard time moving it when I want to roll on my side or relieve pressure on my tailbone. So I don't use it every night.

I also got a new bed rail, I loved my Stander bed cane that I've had for years. But because it uses a wide board that goes between the mattress and box spring, it will no longer work with our new adjustable bed. So I got a new narrower one that I'm still deciding if it's as good:

It needs to be positioned a bit lower on the side away from my head then I'd like in order to not interfere with the movement of the bed, so it blocks me some from where I would transfer to/from my wheelchair.

And got the trapeze:

It helps some to sway my legs side to side,and I use to exercise doing pull ups.

Jury's still out on it all, but hoping it can help some.

Keep me posted on your pump replacement planning, I'll do the same.

Comment

Hi Rdmc,
                    I did watch the Brian Regan YouTube, so funny! Thanks for sharing that!

I ended up getting a few things to try and make things easier.

Got a leg wedge on Amazon:

It's working well, like the height to elevate my legs and the cotton cover is good. The only issue is I have a hard time moving it when I want to roll on my side or relieve pressure on my tailbone. So I don't use it every night.

I also got a new bed rail, I loved my Stander bed cane that I've had for years. But because it uses a wide board that goes between the mattress and box spring, it will no longer work with our new adjustable bed. So I got a new narrower one that I'm still deciding if it's as good:

It needs to be positioned a bit lower on the side away from my head then I'd like in order to not interfere with the movement of the bed, so it blocks me some from where I would transfer to/from my wheelchair.

And got the trapeze:

It helps some to sway my legs side to side,and I use to exercise doing pull ups.

Jury's still out on it all, but hoping it can help some.

Keep me posted on your pump replacement planning, I'll do the same.
                    Glad you found some aids for your needs. I had to chuckle, if I need something, they'll
                    probably have it on Amazon, it's my go to place

I've often thought a trapeze looked interesting in helping move around in the bed, but
                    I don't actually "need" one at this point.

Yeah, pump refill is coming up in February, then neurosurgeon appt. I hope I get to pick
                    what time of year I have the surgery.

Comment

Working...
                    X