This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistive Technology Act and Financial Assistance Programs in Your State

[SIZE=4][FONT=book antiqua]You may have assistive technology (AT) resources in your state that you have never heard of. Because of the Assistive Technology Act, every state must have programs to help people with disabilities get connected to the devices, programs and services that they need. Every state's programs are different and some are larger than others.

In my home state of Pennsylvania, we have a program that has been around for a long time and is quite comprehensive. I work as the local contact person for that program (Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology) and help people in my seven county area. AT Act programs help people to try out devices before they buy them by offering demonstrations an/or loans of equipment. They also have reutilization programs to help people get hooked up with used or refurbished equipment at little or no cost.

If you do have to purchase something, look for your state's alternative loan programs where you can apply for a low-interest or 0% interest cash loan for the AT device, home modification or vehicle that you need.

What is ATA ? (Assistive Technology Act) https://www.ataporg.org/

To find out more about state financing programs https://www.at3center.net/repository/statefinancing
    Last edited by Seasha; 12-23-2019, 10:53 PM.

Hi cchamberlain

Thanks for info about the AT Act programs.

I followed the link, and see that the only program listed in Ohio is in Columbus.

Does that mean the services are not available in Northwestern Ohio?

Thanks
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hello!
      Actually what that means is that the agency that runs all the programs is headquartered in Columbus. State programs, in every state, are available to every resident of that state. All you need to do is to contact those folks in Columbus to get more information. Good question!

Comment

Originally posted by cchamberlain View Post
        Hello!
        Actually what that means is that the agency that runs all the programs is headquartered in Columbus. State programs, in every state, are available to every resident of that state. All you need to do is to contact those folks in Columbus to get more information. Good question!
        Ok - thank you!

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Interesting info - I'll check out CA. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks. Hope those guys operate in NY too.

Comment

YKarika, Here is the link to the New York programs: https://www.at3center.net/stateprogram

Cheers,
              Christina

Comment

Working...
              X