Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared to start Ampyra while careing for baby

Hello fellow MSers
    I have my new ampyra prescription and I am wondering with the seizure risk should I be safe starting this med while caring for my grandbaby? How long will it take before I am out of the woods so to say with the seizure risk? I fear something happening while I care for her.

thank you!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain! Diagnosed '99. And still learning about this disease!

Hi BDOBBINS,

I'm wondering if you have talked to prescribing Dr. about this and what risks did s/he say?

Here's what the FDA says:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is updating health care professionals and the public about the risk of seizures in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) who are starting Ampyra (dalfampridine). Using information received from post-market adverse event reports, FDA recently evaluated seizure risk in MS patients taking Ampyra (dalfampridine). The majority of seizures happened within days to weeks after starting the recommended dose and occurred in patients having no history of seizures.

In addition, FDA is updating the Ampyra drug label to clarify recommendations that kidney function should be checked in patients before starting Ampyra and monitored at least annually while Ampyra treatment continues. Additionally, patients who miss a dose should not take extra doses—an extra dose of Ampyra can increase seizure risk.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm312846.htm

Sometimes I help babysit my grandchild along with her other grandma and I can understand your concern. If your grandchild is old enough to call 911 on their own just in case you do have a seizure, you can be better equipped and somewhat more confident in babysitting alone.

I took Ampyra awhile back for 6 months. It didn't help my walking at all, so I quit. I never had a seizure, but we are all different! Please don't take any others experience as guidance, and talk with your Dr.

I hope you can work this all out. Maybe have another adult with you to help babysit while you start Ampyra? Best of luck.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

On this for over a year, no seizures nor any side effects,

Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X