Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting occurrence- could be spasticity. Maybe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting occurrence- could be spasticity. Maybe.

Just chevking in with you all re: your experience with spasticity. I have had the most puzzling pain develop in my left arm/shoulder. It is the muscle that ties in to the bicep and can be felt to the left of the shoulder in the upper arm. For the last four days it has felt sore, tight, hard, swollen, and tender to the touch. I could not remember hurting myself there.

Despite having recently lifted weights on the machines at the Y, it does not feel like the soreness I typically feel from a workout. And if it WAS that, it should have been on both sides because the machine works both arms simultaneously.

I decided to wait and see what happened if I did nothing, and tonight it seems less painful. It occurred to me that if this was spasticity, a botox injection might have lessened the tightness and it would have solved my puzzle.

Does spasticity like to manifest itself in such a localized manner- just one muscle? Hang around for about a week then subside on its own? And what was with the swollen appearance? I wondered if I'd acquired an infection of some kind, even though I could not find any evidence of skin involvement, like a bite or scratches. So weird.

Hi Goldfinch,

Originally posted by Goldfinch View Post
    And what was with the swollen appearance?
    This doesn't sound like spasticity because it doesn't cause swelling. More likely an injury or infection.

Originally posted by Goldfinch View Post

It occurred to me that if this was spasticity, a botox injection might have lessened the tightness and it would have solved my puzzle.
    Just a FYI - oral medications are tried before Botox. The effects of Botox also last months versus hours, so intended for long term treatment.

Here's a link about spasticity: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

Hope this continues to improve. If not, contact your doctor. Good luck.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Goldfinch,

I'm with Kimba...I've never had swelling with spasticity.

Also my spasticity doesn't really come and go. It's always there, but it can ramp up, or diminish
      based on my activity level and/or the level of med I take for it. (I use a small dose of oral
      anti spasticity med now for upper body spasticity, but have a pump for lower spasticity)

Talk to your neuro and if you and he believe it to be spasticity, he could prescribe one of the
      anti-spasticity meds (baclofen or zanaflex) to see if it was effective for the symptoms you're
      having. If it doesn't help, then you could rule out spasticity and look for another reason for
      the soreness and swelling.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

Working...
      X