Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra Benefits Beyond Walking

Ampyra News

Results from a Phase 2 clinical trial showed that treatment with Ampyra (prolonged-release fampridine) brought both physical and psychological benefits to patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).

These findings, from the MOBILE study (NCT01597297), were published under the title, “Prolonged-Release Fampridine Treatment Improved Subject-Reported Impact Of Multiple Sclerosis: Item-Level Analysis Of The MSIS-29,” in the Journal of the Neurological Sciences.

Oral Ampyra is currently the only drug approved in the U.S. to specifically treat walking impairment in MS, a common disability in patients, after two Phase 3 clinical trials showed that the treatment resulted in consistent increases in walking speed. Treatment benefits, however, may extend beyond walking.

“Recent studies have demonstrated that the benefits of [Ampyra] may extend beyond walking speed,” the researchers wrote. “Improvements in arm function, physical and cognitive fatigue, mood and quality of life were reported in [Ampyra]–treated subjects with MS, who showed improvements in walking ability … The psychological benefits of [Ampyra] were also reported in the ENABLE study.”

Researchers analyzed the results of the MOBILE study, which expanded upon the ENABLE trial (NCT01480076). MOBILE evaluated the physical (walking ability) and psychological (well-being) health outcomes of subjects with progressing or relapsing MS, using the self-reported Multiple Sclerosis Impact Scale (MSIS-29) that measures both those outcomes. People assigned to the Ampyra treatment (68 patients) group received 10 mg twice daily for up to 24 weeks, and the control group (64 patients) received a placebo.

Ampyra treatment resulted in greater improvements from baseline in the MSIS-29 physical and psychological impact subscales, with differences of 89 percent and 148 percent in mean score reduction from baseline after 24 weeks, compared to placebo, respectively (lower scores represent improvement on these scales). More Ampyra-treated patients also achieved mean improvements in 16 of 20 physical and 6 of 9 psychological measures compared to those placebo after 24 weeks.

The Ampyra group also showed improvements in the 12-item Multiple Sclerosis Walking Scale (MSWS-12) at 24 weeks. In fact, patients whose MSWS-12 walking ability improved (by at least 8 points) were also seen to strengthen physically on the MSIS-29 scale, showing an 82 percent improvement from their self-reported baseline (study start) scores at week 12, and 97 percent by the study’s end.

“The results of the MOBILE study suggest that the benefits of [Ampyra] extend beyond walking speed and also improve the subject-perceived physical and psychological impact of MS versus placebo, particularly in those who show clinically meaningful increases in walking ability,” the authors concluded.

Studies with larger groups to confirm the positive effects of Ampyra are currently ongoing.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ng-ms-patients

Nice, but don't expect Ampyra to be the next antidepressant. Yes, it works; yes, walking better does improve your outlook; yes, better outlooks are good.

I've been on Ampyra for a year and a half, and I'm walking better. I'm sure the psychological benefits are secondary, though. *shrug*

Comment

Due to cost issues, I've transitioned to 4AP, and I actually like it better than Ampyra.

Comment

Even though I can now barely walk, my Dr. has me continuing on Ampyra due to the benefit it has on fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
          Even though I can now barely walk, my Dr. has me continuing on Ampyra due to the benefit it has on fatigue.
          I needed to hear this, pb909, and read the info that Marco gave. I took Ampyra a few years back and it no effect on my walking. But I did notice that I felt had more energy and more of a positive outlook. Hard to explain, but there was a subtle difference.

My MS neuro took me off it as it wasn't helping with the main purpose it was intended for. She has since left town. Finally, after a few years of having no neuro, I have an appt with a new one! I'm certainly going to ask.. My walking has gone way down hill, but I'm hoping for other benefits - especially with fatigue!!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

A few years ago I tried 4AP. Although Rx'd by my neurologist, he was not very positive-sounding about it and I didn't seem to notice any differences in walking or anything else (psychologically-influenced by his attitude perhaps??).

I am now looking forward to trying Ampyra. The biggest concern I have, based on anecdotal information, is the possibility of it increasing my problems going to sleep. Since this is a huge problem for me now, does anyone have any suggestions for making this whole experience a positive one? I believe I can really benefit from taking Ampyra but...

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Comment

Hi dogma,

I have a lot of difficulty sleeping at a baseline so Ampyra wasn't helpful in that way. I did shift the timing of my doses a little so I took my evening dose about 5. My doctor had said it was safe to take the two doses about ten hours apart rather than 12. Don't know if it made much difference but could help you if your doctors okay with not dosing the twelve hours apart

Ampyra helped me so much but unfortunately I recently starting having a movement disorder, either myoclonic seizures or choreiform movements. No more Ampyra. Don't know if I'll be able to work anymore without it. It was a miracle drug for me. Hope it works well for you and you can still get a good nights sleep.

Comment

The results of the study are good news. But what's more important about the good news is that it gives the manufacturer supportive date to take back to the FDA to apply for additional indications for Ampyra. If the FDA approves Ampyra for more general physical improvement, insurance companies won't be able to restrict coverage to only those people who showed improvements in walking speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                  Due to cost issues, I've transitioned to 4AP, and I actually like it better than Ampyra.
                  Same here, 4AP is the same and you don't have to deal with the speciality pharma.

Comment

And you don't have to deal with that stupid walking test! I like you can adjust how much and when you take each dose, rather than the "one size fits all" with Ampyra. I don't believe Ampyra is worth the added cost.

Comment

Working...
                    X