Treating Symptoms -- Using meds vesus using supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treating Symptoms -- Using meds vesus using supplements

I'm a little bit anti-pharmaceutical. I believe that many meds contribute to liver issues, and create additional side effects and try to avoid them when possible.

I used to take Oxybutrin for urinary fx issues. Now I use a combination of Magnesium/Calcium supplements and Uva Ursi.
    I used to take Trazedone, PRN, to help me sleep. Now, I mostly use a yoga breathing technique, and very occasional, take Melatonin.
    I needed an anti-biotic, this spring for a toe nail infection caused by getting a pedi. When it came back, instead of going on anti-biotics again, I used an essential oil.
    I've thought about taking something to manage my fatigue, but, I'm on SSDI, so, I can fit naps in and I'd rather avoid a med when I can. I did take Energ-V by Nature's Sunshine for about a month or two, and it may have helped. It seems like I can get by with one daily nap more frequently than the two I used to take.

Does anyone else have supplement suggestions
    for MS symptoms that you experience?

One exception that I make to avoiding pharmaceuticals, though, is I do take a DMD (disease modifying med). This isn't a med to treat symptoms, though. It's a med to manage my MS.
    I'm on Copaxone. I don't forget what my life with MS was life prior to Copaxone. I really believe that it is doing it's job: reducing the fx of flares, reducing the severity of flares, and delaying progression of the disease. Different meds have different rates of effectiveness for different people, but, that's what works for me.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

I was treated for 4 years for depression/anxiety and med free for 5 months. What helped me was therapy and mindfulness, and will be using light therapy starting the end of this month.

I tried stretching for spasticity, but do need baclofen now.

I am on provigil, but may stop once I make sure my water exercises are habit. Along with one hour daily of learning something new and daily nap, hoping this will keep me physically and cognitively less fatigued.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for your response, Kathy. I like the way you expanded your answer to include other medication alternatives -- not just supplements, as I asked about, but also therapy, mindfulness, light therapy, stretching, etc. Those, actually, are more "intentional" than just popping a supplement in my mouth is. Good suggestions.

For me, I guess one of my helpful additions to my life is volunteering. Although it's somewhat "cliche", I feel like I often "get more than I give". Another one, although not nearly as enjoyable for me (because I've never liked exercise), is going to Curves once or twice a week. I should go more frequently, but, at least I'm doing something. These are not exactly alternatives to a medication, but, perhaps a preventative to depression, MS progression that comes with inactivity, etc.

I've been checking back on this thread, looking for additional responses for others, if anyone has them.
      ~ Faith
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mindfulness and D-Mannose

I started mindfulness meditation several months ago to help me cope with MS. I meditate with an app on my phone every morning before I do anything else. I think it is helping.

Also, on this board under UTI's, D-mannose was suggested to prevent UTI's which I have been getting every 2 to 3 weeks. I would rather prevent than take anitibiotics to cure. I ordered the supplement on Amazon and will start using it when I receive it.

I, too, don't like to take medicine. I am on Aubagio and recently needed to start medicine for high blood pressure. I wish I could just quit all of it but quitting those could have too many bad outcomes so I take them religiously.

Comment

Thanks loopey. lol -- I think we just posted on each other's threads. I was one of those who recommended D-Mannose on your thread, but I just posted there this morning.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

loopey,
            I am also trying to avoid getting UTI's and have used D-mannose ! I, now, use vitamin C powder, about 3000 milligrams daily ! The doctor that I saw for my urinary problems told me that the issue with UTI's is that bacteria in the bladder causes the infection to go uncontrolled. High doses of vitamin C 'acidifies' the urine and kills off the bacteria. It has been working for me, so far. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              I was treated for 4 years for depression/anxiety and med free for 5 months. What helped me was therapy and mindfulness, and will be using light therapy starting the end of this month.

I tried stretching for spasticity, but do need baclofen now.

I am on provigil, but may stop once I make sure my water exercises are habit. Along with one hour daily of learning something new and daily nap, hoping this will keep me physically and cognitively less fatigued.
              Kathy, will you share your experience with mindfullness? What it is, what you do specifically and what it helps you with.

Comment

Mindfulness- great intro is the book Wherever you are, there you go.
                Being in the moment.
                Focusing on your breath.

If your exhale is longer than your inhale, you will go into the rest and digest mode instead of the fight or flight mode.

If you lie on your back, feet flat, knees bent, you are in the constructive rest pose that resets your nervous system and is anti-inflammatory (10 min. works).

Comment

My brother used to suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and was prescribed some marijuana strains by a licensed medical practitioner. Luckily, strains purchased from an authorized

worked wonders and, today, he is doing absolutely fine.

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines.

Comment

Working...
                  X