Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone identify with this cognitive dysfunction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone identify with this cognitive dysfunction?

When I am "confused," I feel confused and disoriented. I have a problem with planning and cannot plan my actions out very well. How much time things will take and what order they are done in is confusing.
    I have difficulty finding the right words and get stuck in the middle of thoughts. This causes hesitancy in my responses and blanking out.
    When I am confused, it is hard to perform tasks like going through the mail and driving. I have difficulty keeping up with the task at hand.
    I also have trouble remembering what to do during routine tasks. The steps needed to brush my teeth and put makeup on are overwhelming. It can take me a hour to do something simple that should take minutes like getting ready or taking a shower.
    I worry about things a lot when I'm confused and have anxiety about not remembering those things. Klonopin helps me some as this confusion correlates to anxiety. If I take a Klonopin, eat, and then sleep, the confusion usually goes away.
    The confusion comes upon me three or four times a week, can last many hours and interferes with everything.
    Does anyone identify?
    With love, jade.
    Schizoaffective Disorder 2001, RRMS 2005, Copaxone 6 yrs, Tecfidera 6 mths, Copaxone again.
    "God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God."
    - Romans 8:28

To some extent, I can relate.

When I am overly fatigued, I exhibit some of what you describe. I have been "lost" in my neighborhood, really struggled to hold a conversation, as I can't remember what I wanted to day and/or trouble with finding words or substituting words that makes no sense.

As for grooming, I know what needs to be done, but it takes forever.

I struggled with anxiety a few years ago and agree, it makes these issues so much worse. If that is your trigger and the Klonopin clears it, maybe you need something to help control the anxiety more.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Me too

What you described so eloquently is exactly what I experience but have trouble detailing. I can relate to everything you say.

I have been trying to describe these symptoms to my doctor and neurologist for some time but have trouble expressing it or how it makes it difficult for me to do some of the most basic things sometimes. Things that I would usually be able to do without even thinking about them.

I was sent for a detailed cognitive assessment recently and they said I have no cognitive impairment which has made me even more paranoid about it. I don't believe that as I know that I am not functioning as I used to.

I haven't found anything that improves it. I have now come to the conclusion that it is yet another MS symptom that I need to adapt to. I do what I can when I can and try to focus on what I do do and not dwell on what I haven't done. Luckily I am not in paid employment !
      Angela

Comment

Yep Ditto!
        But mine doesn't go away, though it does worsen with increased fatigue stress and brain power required.

Its horrible when i can't think of a word or form a sentence. It's actually easier to swear sometimes than try and find an alternative to the word that has just been deleted from MY dictionary just when i need to use it.

I have always been interested in watching doco's and in general info and I used to annoy my husband by telling him every detail about whatever I found fascinating . Now I watch something, and even though i understand the info as i watch , 10 mins later i can't discuss it because the bits i do remember are out of sequence, and from the look on peoples faces and what family have said they just want me to get to the point. I don't have many conversations any more.

I am 'not too bad ' physically so i try to stick to physical non complex tasks , one at a time for the most part. Eg Gardening - but don't forget to plant seedlings after buying. Sweep, washup, wash clothes, Cook one dish to last a couple of days so you have left overs for dinner if you forget to cook before hubby goes in on night shift. One or two things a day done properly gives a sense of achievement but lessens the information overload sensation.

All the best.

Comment

Yes! To everything described in this thread!

Everything that has been mentioned and described in the thread is what I experience every day!
          I know it's getting noticeable, but my family doesn't really say anything. But they do try and figure out the words for me when I get stuck in a sentence, by just listing words for me, until it either jogs my brain or they guess the word I'm trying to remember. I guess it's kind of a game now. But talk about frustrating-and I know it's frustrating for them as well.

Tonight, I'm getting together with good friends from HS-one that I haven't seen for over a year. And I worry what she is going to think. I'm literally getting anxious about it, and it's only 10am-we are going out around 7pm tonight. And it's SO much worse when I'm in a crowded room or any type of social setting. My brain kind of shuts off, and words disappear. Then, when I get home-I think "dang, why didn't I ask this, or say that?". I hate it :/ Does it get worse for anybody here when they're in a crowded or noisy room? I can't focus enough to finish a sentence...

I'm making a list of things to discuss with my neuro at my appointment in the morning. My "cog-fog" is kind of at the top. Is it time for a cognitive evaluation? Or assement. I've never done that-so maybe it's just time?
          Dx 11/09
          Aubagio since 09/15

Comment

Yes, as far as crowded rooms. I am so much worse, that I sit and nod. My husband knows my look and thankfully, if there, tries to save me.

It is a vicious cycle, as the more crowded and noisy, the less I can focus, the more energy it takes, and so it goes.

I did a private program here in the US offeted by some neuropsychologists that helped some with memory and focus, but only if quiet environment. No noticeable change when not quiet.

I now meet friends at each other's houses, or go to a small cafe with high booths that help limit visual and verbal distractions. In nice weather, may sit in quiet park, etc...I will go to other crowded places, but friends know that I may not be all there!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by jadeglee View Post
              When I am "confused," I feel confused and disoriented. I have a problem with planning and cannot plan my actions out very well. How much time things will take and what order they are done in is confusing.
              I have difficulty finding the right words and get stuck in the middle of thoughts. This causes hesitancy in my responses and blanking out.
              When I am confused, it is hard to perform tasks like going through the mail and driving. I have difficulty keeping up with the task at hand.
              I also have trouble remembering what to do during routine tasks. The steps needed to brush my teeth and put makeup on are overwhelming. It can take me a hour to do something simple that should take minutes like getting ready or taking a shower.
              I worry about things a lot when I'm confused and have anxiety about not remembering those things. Klonopin helps me some as this confusion correlates to anxiety. If I take a Klonopin, eat, and then sleep, the confusion usually goes away.
              The confusion comes upon me three or four times a week, can last many hours and interferes with everything.
              Does anyone identify?
              Not nearly to that extent. But, it happens, some, when I push myself past being fatigued. When I'm to the point of exhaustion. And, it might not take much to push me to exhaustion anymore, but, I'm just careful to pace myself as much as I need to, usually, so I don't very often get there. Even putting one foot in front of the other, to walk, takes concentration when I'm exhausted.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Cognitive dysfunction is one of my biggest problems. When someone says something to me, at times I struggle to remember what they've said by the time they get to the end of what they are saying, so formulating an answer is almost impossible. I used to be quite a chatty person and not struggle to make conversation but now, I tend to avoid most social situations and rarely visit friends as I can't remember anything to say.

I've completely lost my career as an Accountant due to cog fog as I can't remember things long enough to process them and at times simple things like making a cup of coffee for 3-4 people is beyond me - I have to make one cup at a time from beginning to end.

My family has learned that if things I need to do/buy aren't written down, then I consider they haven't told me as there is just no way I would remember them.

To say the above is frustrating to me, and my family, would be the understatement of the century.

Comment

Oh how I relate!

I had to let go of my career due to this - cognition and fatigue problems.

I had to stop going to my book group - couldn't remember much and the conversations went way too fast. By the time I could interject, they were onto another topic.

I have to write down everything - if I forget my grocery list, errand list, etc., I am so lost!

I got lost going to work - the same route I took for 14 years!

Can't go to crowded restaurants during busy hours. I hear every voice as one large voice, but can't follow the person's convo next to me. We now go for brunch or early lunch when it's not busy.

Can't join in on my family and friend's intellectual conversations as I can't find the right words, so I just fade away and listen. Afterwards, I can't even describe and remember the conversation anyway.

I don't know what to do to help with this. It's frustrating and I feel so dumb at times
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi again,

It's frustrating and I feel so dumb at times

Most of the time I just let it (the topic)go and accept that it's my memory that's in error but just occasionally I'm so sure I've got it right that i'll stick to my guns and insist i'm right. I feel so stupid when it's suggested to google it - and google proves me wrong. I have alove/ hate relationship with google - I use it all the time to check things myself but these occasional incidents make me squirm with embarrassment. I used to be able to recall numbers, facts etc so well that when I was a teenager working in a supermarket that the other staff wouldn't ask for price checks on unmarked item they'd just ask me . Now I can't remember how many Goldfish I have in my pond 4 or five. And doing maths has gone from a intriguing challenge to a chore .

I too avoid most social occasions and find I spend most of my time alone. This can be very lonely ( especially living within a large family) but i find it less stressful dealing with loneliness than the embarrassment and feelings of ineptitude that can result from trying to have meaningful conversations.

At least the plants in my garden aren't ego driven and don't point out I don't know what i'm talking about like my 5 sons in their 20's are prone to do.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of downer for the new year but just had one of these experiences and unfortunately feel pretty low.

Hope everyone else has had a nice new year and 2017 shows us a nicer face than it did this year.
                    All the best.

Comment

I Hear Ya

I went from being a straight "A" student with a 3.93 GPA in college and now have trouble at work doing the simplest things. I just wish people at work and my own doctor could understand what my life is now like. Hang in there, MDE

Comment

Originally posted by jadeglee View Post
                        Does anyone identify?
                        Yes. Every day.

Comment

Cognition

I completely relate to this whole thread! My cognition problems are daily. While in a group I have learned to just listen more than jumping in and talking. When I have a deadline I can get completely overwhelmed. However, I think it is important to not change our lives so much that we isolate ourselves. Try to schedule time with friends, and keep it to a small one on one date. Use stick-em notes & white boards to remind you what to do next. I hope these can help. Finally be kind and patient with yourself. Treat yourself like you would treat your best friend.

Comment

Cognition Problems

Sometimes (actually frequently) I find myself asking, "How did I get this stupid?"🤔

Comment

jessiesmom- I can so relate to that statement. I usually say "I have gotten so stupid" in fact when I was typing this I had to look back at your post to see how to spell stupid.
                              God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                              X