Morse Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morse Code

I would encourage all those with MS and their caregivers to learn Morse Code. Before her final bout with pneumonia, my wife was totally paralyzed and her voice was very faint because of her shallow breathing. I was terrified that she would totally lose her voice and be unable to communicate. There are assistive devices but all that I could find required you to be able to move a mouse on a computer screen via head movements, for example. I had decided to start teaching her Morse Code when disaster struck and she was hospitalized. (See http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...port-Yesterday) In the ICU she had to wear a BiPap mask on her face which made her weak voice impossible to understand. Even when removed, her breathing was so shallow that she could not enunciate words.

Since she could have communicated using Morse Code by blinking her eyes, I deeply regret procrastinating teaching her.

The odds are that you will never need it but better to learn it and never need it than to need it and not have it. Do it now as an insurance policy while you still can. I can't tell you how frustrating and heartbreaking it was for both of us that she couldn't communicate.

Morse Code

Thank you for the great idea. I will learn it now and that way if I become unable to respond verbally then at least my husband will be able to communicate with me.
    All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

Working...
    X