Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stomach side effects - is there anything I can do about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomach side effects - is there anything I can do about it?

I've been taking Tecfidera for a month and I'm having big-time stomach problems from it. My stomach feels bloated and I'm having indigestion/nausea a lot. I'm burping a lot and at night the burping brings a reflux of acid into my throat It's a horrible and wakes me up coughing.

I always eat before I take the Tedfidera and take Pepcid ac at night to try to reduce the acid in my stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I don't want to give up on the Tecfidera, but this is really horrible!

Lisa

Originally posted by riverlady5783 View Post
    I've been taking Tecfidera for a month and I'm having big-time stomach problems from it. My stomach feels bloated and I'm having indigestion/nausea a lot. I'm burping a lot and at night the burping brings a reflux of acid into my throat It's a horrible and wakes me up coughing.

I always eat before I take the Tedfidera and take Pepcid ac at night to try to reduce the acid in my stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I don't want to give up on the Tecfidera, but this is really horrible!

Lisa
    I've been taking Tecfidera for 2 1/2 years. At the beginning I was told to take 2 tums at the time of the meal. I never had any trouble with reflux. Not sure if I was just lucky or if the tums helped. You could try the tums and see how it goes.
    Hope it gets better soon.

Comment

Zantac and more food

I have been on Tecfidera for a little over 2 years. The stomach pain took a while to get better for me (a month or so) and it still comes back if I am not careful. There are a lot of things that work for a lot of people.

Here is what works for me:
      Zantac 75 - I took it at the begging when the pain was really bad and I keep it in case I get a flare up. It is best when taken with the Tecfidera.
      Eat - I try to eat a well rounded meal anyway but I also like to have carbs in there (that may just be a comfort food). I also try to eat a meal and then have something small about 1-2 hours later which is before the pain can start, usually if I start flushing that can be an alarm to eat something. I eat a lot of small meals throughout the day which works for me (there is a fridge at work).

Comment

Heartburn

I had problems with heartburn (gastric reflex) before using Tecfidera. I had been on Zantac (150 mg twice a day), then switched to Prevacid, which worked better for awhile. Now I use Zegrid and that seems to be the only thing that works for me. It's inconvenient because you have to take it and hour before eating anything, but worth not having heartburn. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by riverlady5783 View Post
          I've been taking Tecfidera for a month and I'm having big-time stomach problems from it. My stomach feels bloated and I'm having indigestion/nausea a lot. I'm burping a lot and at night the burping brings a reflux of acid into my throat It's a horrible and wakes me up coughing.I always eat before I take the Tedfidera and take Pepcid ac at night to try to reduce the acid in my stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I don't want to give up on the Tecfidera, but this is really horrible!Lisa
          You've never robably sorted this by now if not I can highly recommend having it with a spoon of peanut butter . I can have tec with a bowl of soup if I have a spoon of peanut butter.

Comment

Working...
          X