Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a Medical Alert Systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone use a Medical Alert Systems?

I have fallen hard twice in the last 9 days while holding onto my walker or by taking a few steps away from it. Luckily, visiting family members were here to get me back up and I wasn't seriously hurt. I have fallen many times in the last few years but never so often.

My dh has been hounding me to get a medical alert necklace for a long time now and I'm thinking it may be time as I'm usually home alone.

I'd love to hear from someone who uses one. If so, could you give me a recommendation based on cost, reliability and communication with providers.

I haven't done any research yet, but thought to ask here first!
    Thanks so much!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I have had one for 3 years now. My phone service wasn't good and when my mom couldn't get in touch with me she would panic.

Check with your insurance. Some insurances will cover this....my secondary insurance through the state does, but not the service I use. I pay monthly (sometimes you get a break to pay yearly) and it's $29.99. I use One Call Alert. I can use a bracelet or pendant and it is good for 600 feet outside of my house which is a benefit.

I have been happy with the service....although I haven't had to use it. They as that you test it on a monthly basis which I am bad about, but the people are very nice and responsive when I do test it.

It is reassuring when you are home alone.

Comment

I have VRI. I can use a bracelet or a pendant. I have not had to use it, but I do test it monthly. It works very well. For my first test, I went upstairs and closed the bathroom door before pushing the button. When the agent answered, she was able to hear me, which was amazing!

I do not have a landline telephone, so mine is connected by satellite, like a cell phone. Medicare/medicaid paid for the device and pays the monthly fee, so I do not know how much it costs.

If I just need a little help getting up (not an emergency) and don't have my cell phone with me, they will contact my hubby or whoever I request.

I chose to have 4 contacts put on my list. If I activate the button but am unable to answer, they first try my cellphone to see if I can answer, then call 911, and start down the list to notify my designated contacts.

The system lost its signal once in 18 months and a tech was sent the next day to fix it. All-in-all, I have been quite happy with it.
      Echo
      DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

medical alert system

I have tried a few. I was falling and had stitches as a result twice, and endedup in hopsitland rehab in the other severe fall. I was scared and succumbed to what my family and friends had been telling me. Hindsight I should had one it earloer but my stubborness and positive attitude prevailed despite the scary falls I had.

I tried a necklace that would be alerted if i fell. I knew how to fall by this time so usually took them methodically and slowly as possible. I realized the alram did not go off tho when I fell slowly and carefully once. It seems the alarm must sense a speed and distance for it to be triggered. That was my analysis. I didn't ask but just changed.
        The process was quite involved too.The alarm company woud call me first and ask if i was ok. If I didn't answer they would call the first person on my list and so on and so forth. Finally they would send an ambulance if no one answered the phone.
        It was provided by the local VNA and costed $50 a month!

Then I heard my town offered free ones.I called the senior center and paid $100 for a wrist bracelet. I would haveitfor life and never have to make any other payments. The beauty of this is that it goes directly to the fire dept however you do need to push a small button on it.
        If you are unconscious tho it would not work.

I suggest doing exactly what you are - asking people. Check with your senior center, the local VNS, local MS chapter, local churches, and put up a note in the library!

Get one before its too late, you'll be so much safer!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm still on the fence about getting one. Maybe I'm still in denial that I've arrived at this stage. My 94 yr old mother uses one for safety, and I do care about my safety too.

That's a good suggestion of going to the senior center, Idylbrae! That's where I'll go first to see if it's available n my area.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have a Vital Call pendant. If you press the button, it sets off a piercing alarm until a monitor answers.

You can converse very clearly, even in the backyard and on the street out the front.

I haven't had to use it except for the monthly test call.

I got it after my legs just refused to work one day. I could not move them, or bend them.

I was outside at the time, and no one else was home.
            Fortunately I had my phone and I was able to call an ambulance.

My parents and my partner "suggested" I get Vital Call.

Gives you all usual emergency services options plus three nearby friends and family numbers.

It costs $29 a month.

Comment

Working...
            X