I Had to Disconnect My Wife from Life Support Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Had to Disconnect My Wife from Life Support Yesterday

My wife had PPMS and was totally paralyzed at the end. I have been her sole caregiver for over 10 years. She recently caught pneumonia (again) and was put on assisted breathing while they tried to treat it. Despite a valiant struggle, she was unable to shake it, was unable to breathe by herself, and her CO2 levels were building up. She was unresponsive and suffering so it fell to me to end it. The doctors assured me that she would "slip away peacefully". I held her hand the whole time. It was more like an execution. I will have nightmares about it the rest of my life. I can never unsee her beautiful body struggling to live.

If you ever find yourself in this position be very skeptical of their smarmy assurances. Sorry for the depressing post but if I can save one other person from having to go through this it will have been worth it.

I'm so, so sorry. I saw a loved one stuggle to breath before being put on a ventilator. It was unnerving. I can't imagine how awful it was both for her, and you. Sending my condolences, and prayers.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by sjc314 View Post
      My wife had PPMS and was totally paralyzed at the end. I have been her sole caregiver for over 10 years. She recently caught pneumonia (again) and was put on assisted breathing while they tried to treat it. Despite a valiant struggle, she was unable to shake it, was unable to breathe by herself, and her CO2 levels were building up. She was unresponsive and suffering so it fell to me to end it. The doctors assured me that she would "slip away peacefully". I held her hand the whole time. It was more like an execution. I will have nightmares about it the rest of my life. I can never unsee her beautiful body struggling to live.

If you ever find yourself in this position be very skeptical of their smarmy assurances. Sorry for the depressing post but if I can save one other person from having to go through this it will have been worth it.
      sjc - I'm sorry for the loss of your wife, and for the experience you went through at the end.

Hoping you find comfort and peace, in time.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am so sorry that you lost your wife and also that you had to watch her struggle so. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. No matter what religious beliefs, may you take some comfort knowing she is at peace and no longer struggling. And while alive, she knew your deep love and commitment. After being a sole caregiver for many years, I pray you find the strength to live again.

So sorry for your loss.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Very sorry for your loss.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

I am so very sorry sjc314. What a heartbreaking and a hard decision you had to make. She is at peace now and you will carry her in your heart forever. Sending you prayers at this time that you will also find peace.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by sjc314 View Post

I am so sorry for your loss don't have nightmares have beautiful dreams of the life that you both shared Craig

Comment

So sorry for the loss of your wife She is at peace now and no longer suffering

Shoo
                Shoo

Comment

SJC I am so sorry not only for your loss and your wife's passing but equally for the pain that you had to endure watching her struggle.

As another poster said perhaps you can find some peace in knowing that her suffering is now over. I know that your's is not but time really does help to heal, it's getting through that time which can be devastating.

Try and take some heart in knowing that your wife is now at peace. Soon, with time and healing please God you will find direction.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Very sorry for your loss, sjc314. It is really hard for me to read because I am also PPMS and there is, currently, nothing to treat that form of MS. I hope that medicine come up with something, soon ! Prayers to you !

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss, sjc314 . It took a lot of courage, I'm sure . I am dx'd PPMS, so I appreciate your post . And there are no treatments for this type of MS, at this time . You have no need to apologize ! You stated the horrible truth and you did a courageous thing. This is an important topic, especially regarding the progressive types of MS ( PRMS, PPMS, SPMS ). Thanks for sharing.

Comment

My heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry. <3

Comment

sjc, My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. I pray you will soon find peace, by letting her go she is not suffering anymore and she is at peace.

I will pray for you and your family.
                          God Bless Us All

Comment

Courage

I am so sorry for your loss. It took an enormous amount of courage for you to make the decision you made. I personally would want my husband to do the same for me under the same circumstances. It is painful, I know, but it will get better with time. Just don't be so hard on yourself. You deserve kindness and compassion.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot do justice for the sorrow you must be feeling. That is one decision I do not ever want to have to make. I just do not know if I could ever have the strength needed to face that decision.
                              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                              volunteer
                              MS World
                              hunterd@msworld.org
                              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                              X