Age 65+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age 65+

Has anyone been told to stop a DMT tx after age 65? At my last neuro visit, I said Avonex is for a lifetime and my neuro said well at least until age 65? Is that accurate? What have you heard/been told?

I've been NEDA for the last nine years (age 41-49), but I wonder if that would change by stopping tx? I've been on Avonex since age 30 (with two mild relapses at age 33 with optic neuritis and age 40 with left-side numbness) but with stable scans so Avonex was continued.

Although my MRI's have been stable with no new or enhancing lesions, I've had slow progression mostly with increased fatigue, bladder and cognitive issues. With 22+ years after my initial MS dx, I suppose I am early SPMS.

I am wondering what others in our MS community are doing/heard about stopping a DMT at age 65+?

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Congrats on the NEDA status. Personally I would not stop taking a DMD that we can only assume is working well no matter how old I got.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

The Rocky Mountain MS Center is beginning a study to answer the question about DMD's after 65. The current research is indeterminate; some people do fine, and some regress. I'm on Tysabri, just had infusion #82, will join Medicare in February, and I have NO intention of ever stopping. Not worth the risk.

Comment

I am 66 and was taking Copaxone for years. Started having weird, weird side effects while symptoms continued. My MRI's were like yours. Nothing much to mention. I stopped taking the shots on my own because of the side effects and my neuro agreed that it was ok since I was getting along pretty well despite the symptoms which were and are mostly sensory. So, I'm taking my chances. Aren't we all? I think she did mention something about age at one time. Her theory was "do no harm". I'm still walking, functioning fairly well so... Also, I am starting a new neurologist at the end of Sept. So, we'll see what his course of action will be.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

There isn't enough proof that MS stops progressing at age 65 for me to take a chance. Any arbitrary age makes me suspicious.

It's like saying MS only starts in young people. My dx was at 57.

Comment

Working...
          X