Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word understanding

Hi all,

I've got a question regarding information processing. Recently (and it has happened in the past as well) I appear to be (or at least my brain tells me) struggling to understand what is said to me - as if I've lost the ability to comprehend what the words mean when they are said. Had anyone else has this problem? Plus I feel that my mind is numb and doesn't randomly think of things like it used to.

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks

Ed

I have not had that issue, but have had issue where I can't find the right word or use the incorrect word without realizing.

As for feeling like my brain is numb, I understand. You see a lot of people refer to "cog fog". For me, it feels like I had about 4 hours sleep for a few days and no morning caffeine to help clear the head.

You may want to consider neuropsychological testing. If you haven't had it, it may help identify weaknesses and help develop a strategy to help. If you did have it before and you feel like there have been functional changes in your processing, it may be time to take it again.

Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

same

I have the same problem. It takes me a while to understand what someone is saying, and it takes even longer to process things I read!!! It is very frustrating.

The only thing I can suggest is to go with your strength. I took a test where I had to click a button if I heard or saw a certain number (I think it was 2) I learned that I was slower responding to what I saw than I was to what I heard.

So now I try to listen to things more (while I'm doing other things.) I'll put on youtube and listen to a lecture about something that I want to learn more about, and if I don't understand the first time I will play it again. It seems like there is a video online for most interests/subjects.

My mind is getting numb or empty, too. This is why I try to keep it active. (I'm not a fan of puzzles, etc.) If I don't feel like listening to something I might look at art online and just try to think about what I'm seeing.

Trying to think can be exhausting, would you agree?
      I hope you find something you like

Comment

Working...
      X