OUCH!! Spinal cord stimulator + MS Hug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OUCH!! Spinal cord stimulator + MS Hug

Prayer request please. This morning, I had revision surgery for a spinal cord stimulator and the post-op pains are rough. We are trying to correct Multiple sclerosis neurological pain, that mimics sciatica in the back and down the right leg.

A spinal cord stimulator is implanted in your back and uses electrical waves to interrupt or mask pain signals. It's similar to turning the music volume up so you won't hear a wailing child. The worst side effect is something called a "MS Hug." These hugs are spasms of the muscles between the ribs and can be quite debilitating.

So now I am hurting in the back causing spasms in the front that cause additional pain in the back. A vicious circle of pain ...

So a prayer would be much appreciated for a good outlook during this trial and prayers for Michelle as she endures along with me.

Thank you and God bless.

Moral Support

Oh Marco, I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. You have certainly gone to great lengths to relieve significant pain and it sounds like the "solution" isn't too wonderful either.

I have been both a patient and a caregiver so my thoughts are definitely with you and Michelle. It is very difficult when healthcare concerns become the focus of family life.

Your presence on this Board and the advice/information you provide is greatly appreciated. Please keep it up.

Comment

I will be thinking of you Marco , and hoping the pain doesn't last to long.

Shoo
      Shoo

Comment

Dear Marco~

I will certainly send prayers for you and Michelle during this difficult time for a better pain-free outlook. Speedy recovery my friend
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Marco I am so sorry you are going thru so much pain. I will be praying for you and Michcelle.

I do hope your pain will be gone soon and the stimulator can help you.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

So a prayer would be much appreciated for a good outlook during this trial and prayers for Michelle as she endures along with me.
            Marco

Praying for strength, continued faith, healing and for both you and Michelle.
            Echo
            DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Just said a prayer for you and Michele. (hugs)

Comment

Prayers are with both you and Michelle. Good luck.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I'm hoping that things settle down soon and you get some relief! As both a patient and former caregiver, I'm sending warm thoughts to the both of you. Your advice and kindly posts are so very-much appreciated.
                  RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I'm sorry you are having even more pain. Sounds awful. Sending prayers, and wishes this painful period soon passes, and the spinal stimulator decreases your pain.
                    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

So sorry to hear about your MS Hug; the medical term is "intercostal neuralgia" of the intercostal muscles which hold the ribs together. If you're on Facebook, there is a wonderful group called "Intercostal Neuralgia Discussions" which I strongly urge you to consider reading/joining. Good luck.

Comment

Just saw this. Hope you are well on to healing by now. I will keep you in my prayers...any of the stimulators have a rough recovery. Hope yours goes quick.
                        Katie
                        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                        "My MS is a Journey for One."
                        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Marco!

I have been absent of late and just saw this post. I can actually say I know this pain. I too had a SCS implanted at T9. I used if for 1 1/2 years and then POOF we couldn't get it to work. I had it removed as my choice was replace it or be able to have MRIs and Tysabri. At that point my walking was good, so I had it removed.

I still have problems with spasms and pain because of the scar tissue. The only relief I have gotten is periodic trigger point injections in that area. During the years after I had it removed, my pain Dr gave me Lidoderm patches. I do get relief with these because the cause is pretty superficial. The pain from that surgery (out of a record 20ish) was only matched by my shoulder surgery and frozen shoulder post op.

Best wishes for some relief!

Comment

Working...
                          X