Baclofen Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

I hope things go well for you BG with the pump replacement. All my pump replacements have been outpatient until the last one. My current pump dr kept me for a 1 night stay.

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Best Wishes Bob... We all hope all goes well!

Alan

Comment

Hello, In case this information can help anyone; for an update I did have my replacement surgery done last week. It was outpatient at the hospital, surgery started at 8:30 AM (was there two hours prior) and home by 11:30 AM. I had to complete some pre-op tests through my general practitioner within a month before the surgery date, to clear me for the surgery.

It was done with local anesthesia and sedation, it was a 'twilight' anesthesia using Propofol and something else (I can't remember the name).
        The anesthesiologist explained that he would be monitoring me throughout and raising/lowing the d oseas levels fluctuated up and down.

I was given antibiotics through my IV during the surgery as my neurosurgeon told me during our consultation last month. I was not given any further antibiotics to take after. I think he did call in a prescription for pain pills but I did not fill it as I usually feel worse rather than better when I've taken them in the past (just me).

Just the pump was replaced nothing was done with the catheter which is why I think it was done as outpatient and much quicker than the initial implant six and 1/2 years ago.

Besides feeling weaker than I had imagined and having a very dry mouth and throat for 12 hours after (the anesthesiologist said that was from the second drug that I don't remember the name of), but I started feeling more like myself after a couple of days.

The incision area felt sore at first but again after the first two days I don't feel it anymore.
        I have dissolvable stitches and a bandage with two layers, I'm supposed to take off the first layer and leave the second sterile strip layer for two weeks until my post op visit with my neurosurgeon.

Overall it went okay and was happy to be home the same day, because of my condition of not being ambulatory everything's a bit challenging and I just think the operation and anesthesia made me very weak at first.

Comment

Hi BG

Glad to hear things went well. You are right. It is an easier surgery when they don't have to do anything to the catheter. I still have the same catheter from 1999. Each time I get my pump replaced, they check it.

I wish my neurosurgeon would use something other than staples. I can't wait for the day that those come out. The last time he used over 20 staples.

Wishing you the best, Bob

Comment

Working...
          X